Stuck in a catch 22 (xposted)

Dravens_Mommy
on 6/23/13 1:51 pm - VA

I currently weigh 225lb and my goal weight is 110lb. My BMI is 43 and I have no comorbidities. Since I'm only 5'1 this means that I cannot drop below 213lb by the time I see the surgeon in mid-July. I really wanted to change my eating habits now instead of waiting until my preop diet but I know that will cause me to lose weight in the process. I'm fairly confident that I can get to 213lb or possibly even 200lb and stay there, but I'm also fairly confident that I CANNOT get to 110lb on my own. So I fell like I'm stuck between a rock and a hard place. I finally got my husband to support me on this journey and now I feel like I have to wait until the last minute to start getting healthier. What should I do?

poet_kelly
on 6/23/13 9:04 pm - OH

Start changing your eating habits without cutting calories.  Make healthier choices.  Eat when you're hungry, but start measuring your portions.  Make sure you chew well and eat slowly.  If you're going to have RNY, stop drinking with meals.  Make changes like that.  You only have a couple weeks until you see the surgeon so unless you go on a pretty extreme diet, I don't think you'll get below 213.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Mary Catherine
on 6/23/13 10:41 pm

You can start eating healthy today.  Just weigh yourself daily to be sure that you are not losing.  Don't get into crash dieting and disqualify yourself from surgery.  Start cutting out anything white.  No ice cream, bread, potatoes, rice, sugar, pastry, pasta, noodles, cookies, etc.  Those are the things that will sabotage you after surgery and this is the time to put them out of your life.  Also no sodas and cut down or eliminate caffeine. 

If you give up the high carbs and start to lose weight, then add more healthy fats like avocados, olive oil, peanut butter, and high fat meats and cheeses.  Eating fruits will also keep you from losing weight and summer is a great time to enjoy lots of fresh healthy fruit. Fruit is nature's way of filling us with sugar and helping us to gain weight. 

Replace the simple carbs with healthy fats and sugars and you will be able to eat much healthier without jeopardizing your surgery.  This is not the time to lose weight, just the time to lose the unhealthy foods that make you feel bad and that you will no longer eat after surgery.  Also get outside everyday and get in some exercise.  Walking, jogging, or whatever you enjoy doing.  You will be preparing for surgery and having a healthy body will make the journey so much easier.

Kathleen W.
on 6/24/13 1:05 am - Lancaster, PA

May I make a suggestion for you?  Along with what the other posters mentioned(really good ideas, by the way),  you might want to keep track of what you're doing on www.myfitnesspal.com  It helps you keep track of getting the mix of protein, etc in.

SW 327
GW 150
CW 126