Approval Process

Lisas-Ltl-Sis
on 7/9/13 8:54 am

How long did it take people to get approved?  And, if it's in days, is that business days......getting anxious LOL  It's been 10 days (but those are calendar days, not business days, and tht may make a big difference)   Many thanks!  --sis

Jazzejcakes
on 7/9/13 9:24 am - Columbus, OH

I had Anthem BCBS and it took me six months of Doctor visits and had to prove to them I serious about the surgery. But It paid off because i lost 120 pounds. So hang in there and if the insurance needs you to do something (like lose 10 pounds) do it right away.

jan

Lisas-Ltl-Sis
on 7/9/13 10:13 am

Thanks Jan!   I believe I've completed  their required appointments/tests.....paperwork was submitted to the insurance last week, and I'm wondering how long the actual approval process takes.  Thanks again!  --Sis

jbrown89801
on 7/9/13 10:20 am

I just got my approval letter today and my request was submitted to Cigna on 06/12/13.  However, on 6/25/13, Cigna said that they did not have my mental health review.  Turns out that Cigna had 2 different files for me.  I stayed on top of phone calls and got them the info they needed.  My approval was processed on 7/5/13.  Its important to be your own advocate! Doctor's offices are great, but they don't have the same investment that you do.  I definitely think that my phone calls to my insurance (polite but persistent) were helpful in getting my procedure approved!

Lora R.
on 7/9/13 11:29 am
RNY on 09/12/13

I would call your insurance company, verify they have it on file, and ask what the normal turn around time is for pre-approvals.  Some only take 10-14 business days (holidays excluded) some can take up to 45 days.  Mine should be turned in by the end of this week, so I understand being anxious!!

Lora R.

SandieMc49
on 7/9/13 9:48 pm

It's perfectly okay for you to call up your health insurance provider and ask them if you've received approval yet.  (I work in health insurance) 

The turn-around time is based on so many factors; i.e., staff vacations, holidays, backlog, etc.  There are guidelines as to how many days the insurance company has to respond.  Insurance companies have to prove to auditors and 3rd party entities (such as NCQA and URAC) that they are meeting those requirements. 

But, again, don't hesitate to contact them and just ask - wouldn't hurt!

Fingers crossed for ya,   mailSandie

Lisas-Ltl-Sis
on 7/9/13 9:55 pm

Thanks everyone!  I'll give them a call this afternoon.....to add to my anxiety about this, my DH is anxious to put in for vacation time, and I can't tell him because it really depends on surgery.....thanks again!

bosslady1
on 7/10/13 6:20 am - SC
My surgeons office submitted everything on July 3rd and today I called n my surgeons office n they told me that I was approved. The 4th was a holiday and today is wed. So it took not counting tha weekend 5 days.
Lisas-Ltl-Sis
on 7/10/13 6:31 am

Something is wrong here.....the insurance company claims they haven't received it, but I have an email from doctors saying they sent it over last week......I've just left word @ the doctors....not  a happy camper right now.....thanks for all the input.....if I hadn't called, i'd have no idea that nothing was done....wish me luck!

bosslady1
on 7/10/13 6:39 am - SC

Gud luck! Stay on top of them.

Most Active