Laser Tattoo Removel and WLS?

rosegold85
on 8/17/13 7:48 am
RNY on 08/26/13

Hi!

I'm getting ready for surgery next Monday (8/26) but I've been thinking lately about getting rid of a couple small tattoos I have on my wrist and ankle. As I understand it, when you get laser tattoo removal the laser breaks down the tattoo and your body then removes it on its own because it sees it as a foreign body and wants to get rid of it. I'm just wondering, if after surgery, if get the treatment, will my body get rid of the ink faster, slower, or at the same rate as it would have before surgery? I know that probably no one will know for sure but what are your thoughts on this? Or anyone who has has laser tattoo removal after WLS that can give a credible answer/opinion?

Thanks in advance!!

Hislady
on 8/17/13 12:00 pm - Vancouver, WA

Well this is just a guess because I have no tats or looked into laser removal of tats but I would think it would be the same as if you had no surgery since it has nothing to do with the digestive system. I don't think the skin will reject it either faster or slower but just like it normally would. I know I haven't shed skin any differently since my surgery but then I didn't have a malabsorbtive type surgery. It will be interesting to see if anyone else has some better informed answers.

UBi FIT
on 8/17/13 11:54 pm, edited 8/17/13 11:54 pm
VSG on 08/06/12
I have had 4 laser treatments and it hasn't gone away, it was a traditional old school black/ink I don't really know if laser really works or just lightens them up so you can recover them. Any way on your healing it's the same amount of time, your changing your stomach not your genetic makeup and the way your body heals. But I'm no doctor I could be wrong. In my experience it's been the same. Good luck love to hear if it actually works for you. Be aware it takes more than a couple treatments.

Dr. Goal 137-140 my goal 130. Fantasy goal 125

Myoung211
on 8/18/13 4:49 am - WI

Hey! I'm going through the process of getting a wrist tattoo off. I have had 10 treatments and its faded a lot but still probably needs about5-10 more. Now it just looks like a faded poor quality tattoo. Originally they said it would probably only be 10 treatments to remove it!! I am 14 months post op rny. I would just wait until you feel healed before going with the laser removal, you don't want to feel any worn more worn down or in pain then you need to. Any questions let me know!

Most Active