Need help/suggestions with skin issues

April M.
on 9/3/13 12:17 pm - Clarksville, TN
RNY on 03/11/13

As my apron of skin is hanging farther and farther, the irritation underneath it is getting worse. I have developed essentially a diaper rash from this area being warm and moist. My doc recommended using powder type sprays and anti-fungal cream. I have been using Gold Bond spray and Lotrimin. I tried to use A&D ointment and lotrimin cream but I find that the creams make it more uncomfortable. I am washing with a feminine hygeine soap, drying the area, and then alternating between the lotrimin and the gold bond spray powders. Meaning one day I'll use the lotrimin spray (its the kind for jock itch) and the next I'll use the gold bond. Neither of them seems to have any different affect.  I am not able to get a handle on it. Can anyone else suggest a different course of managing it? I am at a loss and with the hot weather it is only getting worse. Thanks in advance for your help ;)

TeacherSue
on 9/3/13 1:13 pm - Collinsville, IL

I have not had surgery yet, but I have a hanging apron now.  I use cornstarch.  If I break out, I use Lotrimin; but once the breakout is taken care of, I go to plain cornstarch...nothing else.  I put it in an old powder box, got a nice new puff, and use it just like powder.  It goes under my boobs, too.  It really helps.  Dry very thoroughly after you bathe or shower, and then dab it on heavily!  It really keeps moisture away.

April M.
on 9/3/13 1:22 pm - Clarksville, TN
RNY on 03/11/13

Thanks! I will definitely try it. I am desperate to get rid of this.

kim_pei
on 9/3/13 2:55 pm - Canada

I havent had my surgery yet but it is a problem for me too....I know this sounds nutty but i wash a few times a day and apply polysporin triple as it takes away burn or itch and then coat it with cornstarch......after a bath dry the area the best you can with a hairdryer on cool and  if possible let it air dry au natural for a bit before the poly and corn starch....after the infection is gone I wash and dry a couple times a day and keep fresh cornstarch a couple times a day.  It really does help a lot.  Best of Luck!

Kim

Candy V.
on 9/3/13 7:40 pm - MI
RNY on 09/12/12

prescription powder (nystatin) from dr

use hair dryer to fully dry skin

RNY 9/12    TT 9/13    HT 5' 4"   HW 250    SW 242   CW 125

Come keep it real in R&R 3.0 Want a group invite?  Send a PM  

Robin M.
on 9/3/13 7:58 pm - Biloxi, MS
VSG on 09/12/13
I am pre-surgery but I already have some rashes too. I will definately be buying some corn starch today!!

Valerie G.
on 9/3/13 10:08 pm - Northwest Mountains, GA

Doc is spot-on with suggesting Lotrimin, or other types of atheletes foot/jock itch creams.  I had this problem under my breasts the worst, and used it.  The key to comfort for me was using high-quality paper towels (Bounty)  tucked under the folds.  They kept the moisture down immensely.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

Jenn C.
on 9/3/13 11:45 pm - Naugatuck, CT
RNY on 10/21/13

I haven't had my RNY yet but I have issues right now with my belly! I use the gold bond spray( the "fresh" one smells great!) and I use Summer's Eve powder under my belly and on the sides on my lady part around my legs if that makes sense. It helps tremendously as I sweat ALOT no matter what time of the year it is unfortunately. Try that once the rash clears up :-) 

Also take pictures and document this so once you are at your goal weight, it will help for insurance for an abdominoplasty! 

Hope you feel better too....

Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time.

Bette B.
on 9/4/13 2:48 am

There's a product whose ad pops up on the top of the OH pages once in a while. It's a product that says it's to help with that. If I see it, I'll try to catch the name.

Banded 10 years & maintaining my weight loss!! Any questions, message me.

poet_kelly
on 9/4/13 3:10 am - OH

Just wanted to mention, make sure your doc is documenting this thoroughly and you might even want to take some pics of the rash.  That way, when  you're done losing, you can get your insurance to pay for the skin removal.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Most Active