6 days Post-Op and Gaining Weight?!!

KrisRC
on 9/11/13 12:56 pm - Lyndhurst, NJ

I had the sleeve on Thursday of last week, and have been pretty consistently losing weight. However, I weighed myself yesterday and again today, and I have gained two pounds! Is there any explanation for this like water retention etc? I'm doing everything right, and was a little discouraged by this :(

Dave.of.the.coonties
on 9/11/13 1:30 pm

Don't worry so long as you're following the (very strict) rules about eating.  I lost weight fastest on the two-week pre-operation diet, where daily consumption was something like a dollop of meat, a bit of fruit and veg, and a couple of protein shakes every day.   The justification for this torture was that it would ensure a non-fatty liver, nice and soft.  Post-operation, weight loss slowed for a bit for whatever reason.  

Not being an expert, I can't assign a reason, but for me at least, temporary weight gains of 2 to 3 pounds have continued since surgery, which was at the end of May.  

shoutjoy
on 9/11/13 7:59 pm - Culpeper, VA

Hi,

Since I was not a fan of the scale, I let my clothes indicate my weight loss.  It saved me so much grief and anxiety.  So, my suggestion to you is to let your body do the work.  Follow your food plans, when you are ready, get active, join a support group and enjoy your journey to good health. 

Clueless about weight loss and weight loss surgery of any kind.

KrisRC
on 9/11/13 10:43 pm - Lyndhurst, NJ

I noticed that when I had the band as well, it seemed weight gain would happen every once in a while, just not this fast after surgery :/

Heather_Austin
on 9/11/13 3:52 pm - Austin, TX
VSG on 08/26/13

I didn't weigh myself until about 4-5 days post op and was shocked to see that I was 5 pounds heavier than the morning of the surgery.  However, within 2-days after that I suddenly "lost" about 8 pounds.  I read on these forums its from the fluids, shock, etc.  don't worry about it for a while.

Heather - Austin, TX

KrisRC
on 9/11/13 10:44 pm - Lyndhurst, NJ

Ahhh okay I understand, thank you. That's what i was thinking too, I figured maybe fluids and swelling. It was just weird to see the number go down, then go back up! I was very surprised lol I can't imagine how surprised you must have been when you were 5 pounds heavier than before surgery!

goddessgrrl
on 9/11/13 4:12 pm - VA

Why are you weighing yourself every day? Even pre-op, I was taught by doctors (since my pediatrician when I was 9) & diet clubs that you only weigh yourself once a week. When I was having a monthly period, I gained exactly 2.2 pounds every month. The next week, it would be gone. I got myself so upset & tied down to that number written down on my diet club booklet when I knew it was my monthly water weight gain. Oh, the hours of my life I've wasted obsessing with that number on the scale.

After my RNY surgery, I made a deal with myself: No more weighing at home. That's it. I threw my scale in the trash. I only weigh at the doctor. Oh, & I was at a Habitat for Humanity ReStore thrift shop on Saturday & there was a medical scale there so I weighed myself. =]

It's not going to do you any good to be constantly shackled to the number on the scale. Those days are over. This is a whole new ballgame. Stop weighing yourself. Follow your doctor's instructions. Refer to them every day, several times a day. Call your doctor if necessary. Love yourself. Be gentle & kind to yourself. Anything that's going to get you discouraged is going to slow your recovery & your journey to a healthy, happy you.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com

KrisRC
on 9/11/13 10:51 pm - Lyndhurst, NJ

Aw, this was a really thoughtful and really sweet response :) I know you're right, even as I got on the scale I said to myself "this should only be once a week" but old habits die hard I suppose. When I had the band, before I had the sleeve done, I was in a terrible habit of being tied to the number on the scale. I would obsess and obsess until it went down, or until I called my doctor to see if there was anything I could do to make it go down. After some time, I stepped away from that pattern, until the other day when I weighed myself two days in a row.

Ditching the scale truly is the best advice, and I should most definitely do that very soon. I think there's an anxiety for me of not knowing how much I weigh, and I think it has to do with never looking at a scale and then one day stepping on one and seeing that I was 330 pounds. I hadn't weighed myself in about a year when that happened, so now I have this innate fear of NOT weighing myself. Sounds crazy, but that's just where my brain takes me.

THanks so much for the thoughtful response. I will definitely work on this aspect of my journey :)

SarahI
on 9/11/13 8:42 pm, edited 9/11/13 11:23 pm - Indian River, MI
VSG on 03/04/13

Do yourself a favor and ditch the scale.  Either throw it out or start weighing yourself once a week. I started weighing myself on just Sundays because i started off with the weighing everyday and it was discouraging to see the fluctuation in losing and gain.  Now i go sometimes a couple weeks without weighing myself because its not that important.  I feel it in my progress. I know i am following my plan, i have energy i feel great, and if i have a bad day, i get right back on track right away.  don't be discouraged. You have come this far, and you will get further.  The hardest part is over, just listen to your heart, ignore the head hunger and put your best foot forward and know if you need help we are always here if you need us...

SARAH

KrisRC
on 9/11/13 10:52 pm - Lyndhurst, NJ

Yeah you're absolutely right, I should focus more on how I feel and look rather than the number on the scale. I can already see my clothes starting to fit just a little bit better. Thanks for the support, I'm gonna stick to weighing myself once a week and try to move forward from there. 

Most Active