Major depression 6 months post op

Srg2
on 9/27/13 3:27 am - CA

Hello all,

I have been dealing with depression since right after my surgery and it isn't getting better.  I am seeing a psychiatrist and have tried an assortment of meds.  I am starting to feel like due to the malabsorption issue, I will never find a med that works and will never be back to my old self.  If any of you have dealt with this post-op, please share.  I am feeling desperate, alone, hopeless, and everything all at once.

Ema

Sarahakers11
on 9/27/13 3:54 am - Culpeper, VA
RNY on 06/04/13 with

I dont have anything to share as far as dealing with this post op. I had some issues with depression many years ago.  Please keep reaching out and keep seeing your psychiatrist.  It can take a lot of time to find the right med and then the right dosage.  My thoughts are with you.

HW - 297  start of Pre-op - 290.2   SW- 279.2   GW - 145    

The Depressed Hiker Blog

A middle aged over the hump and over what "I'm suppose to do" woman, with the wild spirit and a nasty case of depression and anxiety!

MsBatt
on 9/27/13 4:40 am

Be certain they're not giving you an extended-release medication---they don't work well for WLS patients.

TurnThePage
on 9/27/13 5:18 am

Hang in there Ema, you will get better!!!   This too will pass.

Please call your psychiatrist for another appointment and explain that you are really struggling and need help NOW.  If you have any thoughts whatsoever of harming yourself, please go to the ER or call a suicide hotline for help. There are lots and lots of people who will help you if only you ask!   

Malabsorption may not really be an issue for your meds and if it is, the psychiatrist should be factoring that into the dosage calculation for your prescription. For your part, you need to be sure to take the meds exactly as prescribed to get the maximum benefit--time of day, with/without food, etc. But if a med is not working for you, be sure to tell your psychiatrist right away and explain as best you can why it is not working. Often it helps to keep a brief daily log of your activities, your moods and the stresses or successes that affected you. That will help you see patterns and help your doctor better understand your situation. 

Are you getting talk therapy as well as medication? The combination of the 2 is generally considered the most effective treatment. Are you seeing a therapist weekly or more often as needed? Many psychiatrists will manage your medication but refer you to a psychologist or other counselor for talk therapy. If there is someone who specializes in weight loss, that would be a bonus. It's important that you feel comfortable discussing all your thoughts and fears, even if they seem silly or strange, with that person so they can find the best way to help you. Sometimes you have to change therapists if there is not a good fit between you.  Ask your doctor if a short term of inpatient care might be just the thing to give you a jump start back on the road to wellness.

Do you have supportive family members and friends?  Reach out to them!  Most people are happy to help if only you ask. If someone is not supportive, avoid them. It's a matter of caring for your mental health. Consider joining the support group at your surgeon's office and or a professionally guided therapy group for depression.

Exercise can also be a useful tool in combating depression. Autumn is an especially wonderful time to get out and walk. The sunshine restores your levels of vitamin D and just plain feels good. Sometimes you get to run and jump in a pile of leaves like you did as a kid--always good for the soul. Getting out and walking always reminds me that life goes on pretty much as normal even if I have shut down---and with some help, I can choose to pull out of a downward spiral.

Ema, you have so much to look forward to now that you are gaining control of your weight. It was brave of you to take this major step forward, so I know you can be brave and take the next step.  You can do this!  Find pictures of places you want to go, things you want to do and whatever makes you happy and put them up all over your house so you are constantly reminded of all the happiness that lies ahead of you. 

Wishing you all the best!

Valerie G.
on 9/27/13 10:46 am - Northwest Mountains, GA

What are your vitmain D levels?  Low D brings on depression.  

You need to be taking dry D3, probably 50,000 iu if you're RNY or DS

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

kyle_17512
on 9/29/13 10:25 am - Chester, PA
So my 1000. Unit vitamin supplement i i will need 50 pills daily.

That seems like alot.

I have low d just got blood test back have a 9 should be a 20 to 30 I think is normal.
Carol S.
on 9/29/13 12:52 pm - Milwaukee, WI

Have your thyroid checked.  I mean the entire panel.  Some doctors just do the basics-demand the entire test.  

You would not believe what thyroid problems can do to your brain/mind.

Carol

SW/276 CW 150 GW 185

9 Years out.

Most Active