Day4 Post OP RNY update

Jen Lyn
on 11/15/13 4:28 am
RNY on 11/11/13

Some surprises happened at the hospital.  The anastesia was administered by a nurse with a doctor supervising her.  I had ready met the anastisiologist and done a complete health history.  I was upset because I was having a 3 hour surgery.

I entered the OR and had not two, but three surgeons.  Luckily I fell asleep or I would have worried why I needed three surgeons.I do not remember recovery though my friend was there.  The surgery took longer because they redid part of it. 

I took the pain meds every time I could the first two days.  I had trouble getting up out of bed and needed someone to help me every time until day 3.  I would have been happy if they left me alone to sleep for three days but YOU HAVE TO GET UP AND WALK.  A woman who was on a pain pump could not keep her eyes open and could barely move. I am glad I didn't get one because I would have been the same way.  By night three I slept on my right side holding a pillow and got 6 hours straight sleep.  I felt much better.

My stomach was making the loudest noises for the first three days. I swear I could hear the water going through my body.  It has settled down now.   I was sad to hear how inflamed I am and am hoping I don't have some inflamatory disease that was missed among my many workups by  doctors.  I feel disappointed in myself that I did not lose and keep it off the regular way.  I wonder if I will miss food because it was one of my joys really. 

I expected to be a ball of emotions but I think I am in pain still and that is keeping my mind occuppied.  My friend asked if I would do it again and I would at this point. 

barb.k
on 11/15/13 9:47 am - Williamson, GA

I am 10 days out. You will feel better soon, hang in there. Walk, walk, walk, sip, sip, sip.

I do know how you feel about being disappointed that you couldn't diet and keep the weight off.  My family loves to eat, my husband believes that food is very important with family get togethers. He has been very supportive. I am actually being creative on this week of soft diet. Although the diet this week is limited and only a 1/4 cup. I  am trying to not get in a rut and varying (as much as possible) my foods. I can relate to your sadness  and have sat through a couple eating gatherings already, but I am glad I chose this surgery. My weight controlled my life for too many years. Now its time for me to admit by bad choices and take control. Which I did 10 days ago.

Oh and btw it is common practice for anesthesia to be administered by nurse anesthetist. They are specially trained and have advanced nursing degree CRNA It is a masters degree. Hope this makes you feel better. 

barb.k

Chris M.
on 11/15/13 10:19 am
RNY on 08/12/13

I am 3 months out, and let me say this.  It gets sooooo much better.  It may take a week or two, but that weight is going to fall right off, and before you know it you'll be on solid foors.  Best of luck to you.

Most Active