Did you have to gain weight BEFORE qualifying for weight loss surgery???

Mikoo
on 12/4/13 1:21 am - Spain

Hello everyone,

I'm new to Obesity Help but I have a serious question.

I'm wondering if anyone had to gain weight to qualifying for weight loss surgery? I'm only 6 lbs away from being 40 BMI and I've already talked to my Doctor about getting WLS but she said I didn't qualify at my weight (This was around 5 months ago when I talked to her and without even trying I've gained a few lbs.). I also asked her to test me for sleep apnea but she just sent me to a shrink to talk about my sleeping problem. By the way, we're stationed in Spain so I'm guessing they don't have easy access to sleep clinics near here. The hospital on base is pretty small.

Anyways, as I said I'm wondering if anyone has tried to gain weight so that you can qualify?

If so how did you gain it?

And do you have any regrets?

Thank you for your time.

Ladytazz
on 12/4/13 2:20 am

The first time I looked into WLS I was under the 40 BMI needed but my insurance didn't cover it at that time anyway.  When I finally got insurance that did cover WLS I ate unrestrained until my first appointment with the surgeon and just hit 40 BMI.  It is hard to believe that I was about 44 years old, fighting weight problems my whole life and that was the first time I was ever morbidly obese.  I think it was because I fought it so hard all my life, losing and gaining up to 100 lbs more time then I can count.  Honestly, people I didn't see regularly never knew if I was going to be fat, thin or in between.  When I found out about having WLS it was the first time that I really let myself go and ate whatever I wanted.  I gained 10 lbs between my first consult in August and my surgery in Oct.

I didn't really have to do anything special to hit the 40 BMI, I just let myself do what I wanted to do anyway.

WLS 10/28/2002 Revision 7/23/2010

High Weight  (2002) 240 Revision Weight (2010) 220 Current Weight 115.

Mikoo
on 12/4/13 6:02 am - Spain

Thank you so much for your response. I feel better doing this now. It's a very scary thing to gain weight on purpose!

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 12/4/13 6:12 am
RNY on 08/05/19

Alternately, could you wear heavy shoes (combat boots!) and maybe stick some rocks in your pockets?? laugh

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

Lisa W.
on 12/4/13 7:24 am - Denver, CO

I didnt have to lose but ive been hospitalized for excessive water weight usually be around 315 now im 333 and im scared medicaid will deny been under a nut for 6 months im really busting my but but i cant get rid of the fluid need advice.

Lisa Willis

dragonlove
on 12/4/13 7:18 am, edited 12/4/13 7:20 am
RNY on 11/20/13

Another alternative is to not stand tall when they measure you.... even an inch makes a difference to the BMI calculation!  Look at a BMI calculator and see if you were an inch shorter if it would push you over the edge!?  I bet it might!

For example, at 5' 6", 242 lbs puts the calculation at 39.1.  6 more pounds does get to 40 BMI. 

But at 5' 5", the same weight of 242 goes to 40.3 BMI!  Just think short if you are that close!

Pam (RNY: 11/20/2013)

H.A.L.A B.
on 12/4/13 8:32 am

I really did not try to gain - but when I decided that I need the WLS - I just stop trying to work out like a maniac and I stopped trying to starve myself.  I didn't try to gain - but my system was such I had to work really hard to just maintain...  when I stopped trying I gain back... then I learn that my insurance did not cover that anyway so I was a self pay... 

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

Kdiva
on 12/5/13 1:27 am - Margate, FL
I too was 6lbs from BMI of 40. Since September I've eaten all day .....everyday. Yesterday at the my pre- op visit with the nutritionist I was exactly 40 BMI. I asked the nurse if that would be my official weigh in she said that & my 1st visit with the surgeon. I'm afraid of losing a lb or 2 before my appt with the surgeon. But I'm determined !.........good luck to you
Mikoo
on 12/5/13 6:49 am - Spain

Thank you so much everyone!!!!! This means so much!

I'm between 5'4 and 5'5 and I weigh about 228, if they measure me at 5'4 than I only have to get to 233 lbs but if they measure me at 5'5 than I'll need to be 241. I'm going to try to slouch as much as I can to try to pull off 5'4.

This week I've been eating like a pig! I feel like one too! Last night my husband and I went and bought some weight gaining shack mix that body builders use when bulking up.

This isn't my ideal cir****tance but it is a lot easier to gain 6 lbs than it is to lose 70 lbs. I'm SO sick of dieting. I've been dieting since I was 15 years old. It's gotten old and I've tried everything! Now that I'm 30 I'm really starting to notice my weight. It's getting harder to breath and walk and I'm hurting more and more. I'll probably end up breaking down if she doesn't approve me. I'm out of ideas. 

Thank you all for listening. :D

Kdiva
on 12/5/13 7:14 am - Margate, FL
The weight gainer shakes are great! I used them as well. I also made sure my calorie intake was high. It paid off bcuz I started in September. On Monday i have the psyche evaluation & after that my paperwork for surgery gets submitted to insurance.
Most Active