Pre-Op struggling to lose weight before surgery!

sister_scaleback
on 12/4/13 1:31 pm

Hi!  I am a few months away from surgery but the nutritionist wants me to lose some weight on my first - I tracked my food for her for one week and she said I eat too large portions and too much fat.  Any advice on how to get my weight down a bit before I go back to my next appointment in February?  I am very sedentary (office worker) and always out of breath (asthma) so excersice is very difficult for me - even walking. I am ALWAYS hungry it seems.  I don't have a lot of stress in my life - no small children around and a very loving husband.  I do dislike my job but I can manage it.  I am a huge CARB craver....and I think this is my issue.  I know after surgery, I will have no choice to reduce portion size...which is WHY I am going for this surgery in the first place.  I need to do this for my health.  

Referred to Windsor May 2013,  Toronto final approval on Feb. 20,2014. Met Surgeon May 2, 2014. RNY Surgery Date June 16,2014!

Member Services
on 12/4/13 3:02 pm - Irvine, CA

Hi, this plan is a tough one but if you can stick to it, the carb monster will have left the building....

*No alcohol

*No artificial sweetener

*Only water, tea, and coffee.  You can have low fat creamer. You can flavor water with lemon.

*Veggies include: broccoli, peppers, spinach, tomatoes, zucchini and yellow squash.

Breakfast Picks:

-1/2  cup egg beaters with 1 cup veggies

- ½ cup skim milk/1 cup ice/ ½ cup berries mixed into a smoothie (berries can be strawberries, blueberries, raspberries, or mixed)

-½ cup oatmeal, 1tbs slivered almonds/1 banana

Snacks (2 a day)

-1 cup lowfat yogurt

-14 almonds

-2 rice cakes with 1tbs of peanut butter

-1 piece of turkey rolled in lettuce with mustard

-string cheese (low fat)

Lunch

-2 cups lettuce/ 4 oz of lean meat/ 1 cup of veggies tossed with vinaigrette

-whole wheat wrap with lettuce, mustard, and 4 oz of lean meat

Dinner

-6 oz of any lean meat 

You can use salmon, beef, pork, or chicken as long as it is lean.
You have to have protein and the veggies

-2 cups of steamed veggies

Good Luck!

Mary Gee
on 12/4/13 4:28 pm - AZ
VSG on 05/14/14

I'm a big carb eater now, and I know it will be no carbs for a long, long time after surgery -- so here's what I'm doing now to lose weight, and it's working:

• Take one true portion size serving (2 oz. dry) of spagetti and add veggies, veggies, and more veggies.  I use different combos -- peppers and onions, mushrooms, zucchini or summer squash, packages of broccoli or cauliflower or mixed veggies with low-fat cheese sauce, or add teryaki and oriental mix veggies.  The veggies really bulk-up the dish.
  • I use smaller plates to control portion sizes - and take only ONE potion.
  • Eat a salad if necessary.
  • Drink water before my meals.

I eat three meals a day - and I make healthy choices - You know what healthy choices are, so no real need to get into that - but for breakfast I may have a slice of cinnamon toast with pineapple cottage cheese, or an egg-beater omelette with veggies (no cheese, bacon, ham, etc. - just mushrooms or peppers/onions.  For lunch - a salad or some clear soup and maybe a small size pita bread with turkey (no mayo).  Two snacks a day - a piece of fruit mid-day, and in the evening pop corn or sugar-free jello or a light yogurt.

The ball is in your park.  You must do what you have to do.  Look at your options.  1.  Do whatever they tell you to do and have the surgery; or 2.  Don't follow their instructions and get a denial.  Then what??--find another doctor with fewer restrictions?  My Weight Center has lots of requirements - but they are the best in the State with a huge success rate.  There's a reason you have to lose weight - it makes the surgery safer because your liver becomes less fatty and it makes it easier fir the surgeon to "move things around" to get to your stomach easier.

Go with the flow.  It may not be easy - but it will be worth it and you'll have a sense of pride too!

HW: 380 SW: 324 GW: 175  

poet_kelly
on 12/4/13 6:41 pm - OH

Try cutting back on portions and eating less fat.  That doesn't mean you have to eat teeny tiny portions.  Just try cutting them down a little.  And don't cut out all fat, just cut down on it.  Try trading some of the starchy carbs for veggies.  Like, if you would normally eat meat, veggies and potatoes, skip the potatoes and have a second veggies.  Or just eat half the amount of potatoes you would normally eat and eat extra veggies instead.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

sister_scaleback
on 12/4/13 7:43 pm

You are all terrific!  Thanks for the suggestions and tips!  I will put these into practice starting today!

Referred to Windsor May 2013,  Toronto final approval on Feb. 20,2014. Met Surgeon May 2, 2014. RNY Surgery Date June 16,2014!

hollykim
on 12/5/13 1:44 am - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15

I agree with your responses  that recommend high protein,non starchy veggies. The ones that include carbs are going to fuel your hunger. Starchy carbs,veggies and sugar which is  A simple carb are going to make you hungry and keep you hungry. Lots of meat,chicken,fish protein is going to be your best friend now and post op. 

carbs and sugar are an addiction,plain and simple. The research is showing that addiction to sugar is just as strong as the addiction to cocaine. The withdrawal symptoms are just as bad also,but after the first three days cold turkey it gets better. 

Potatoes,rice,pasta etc turn into simple sugar the minute they hit your mouth where digestion starts. Simple sugars are carbohydrates. 

GL

mzmageevsg
on 12/4/13 8:43 pm

Try the liquid diet for a while. Protein shakes as a meal replacement and lean protein and non starchy veggies.  That's waft I did. And just maintained my weight.  I was actually told if I lost too much weight, the insurance co. Would deny. So lose some but not too much. Plus you will be more prepared for when you are on strictly liquids.  You can do it!

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 12/4/13 10:59 pm
RNY on 08/05/19

Have you tried tracking what you eat as you go through the day? Try something like Myfitnesspal.com, I've found it very helpful to be aware of what I eat and how much. I can put in my breakfast and say, "wow, that oatmeal had way more calories than I thought," or put in breakfast and lunch and figure out exactly how much I can eat for dinner without going over my recommended amount of calories. Super useful, and free too!

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

Laura in Texas
on 12/5/13 12:24 am

Try making healthier choices. If you are hungry, eat an apple or some other fruit that is as filling. At 365 I imagine your surgeon might want you to lose a little so surgery is safer. I did not lose any during my 6 month supervised "diet" for insurance. Pre-op compliance in no way determines your post-op success. I am proof of that. I needed surgery.

Hang in there!!

Laura in Texas

53 years old; 5'7" tall; HW: 339 (BMI=53); GW: 140 CW: 170 (BMI=27)

RNY: 09-17-08 Dr. Garth Davis

brachioplasty: 12-18-09 Dr. Wainwright; lbl/bl: 06-28-11 Dr. LoMonaco

"May your choices reflect your hopes and not your fears."

MsBatt
on 12/6/13 2:18 am

I can really relate to the 'always hungry' thing. Pre-op, that's exactly how I felt. I NEVER felt full and satisfied.

Post-op, I still get hungry---but it's what I think of as 'normal' hunger. I get hungry, I eat a normal portion, I get full and satisfied. 3 hours later, the cycle repeats. (*grin*)

I find that the more carbs I eat, the more carbs I want. I try to never eat grains before noon---breakfast is always some sort of meat, dairy, and veggies. (I can really throw down on an omlette!)

I wasn't required to lose weight before my DS, but I completely cut out soda and sort of accidentally lost 12 pounds in 6 weeks.

Most Active