Severe Nausea and Vomiting - Help

mjd2013
on 12/17/13 10:10 am, edited 12/17/13 10:12 am

Hi all,

I am 3 months post-surgery and have lost 62lbs. (RNY) I was back in my doctor's office today and have lost 6.5lbs since my appointment on Friday.

In short, I'm not holding down much of anything except H2O. I've tried countless combinations, timing, med. schedules, etc., all to no avail.

As soon as I eat, I get pain in my throat and all the way down and then my stomach kicks it back up almost instantly.

Please help me figure out what to do with this.

Thanks,

MJ

poet_kelly
on 12/17/13 10:46 am - OH

How long has this been going on?  What does your doctor think is causing it?  What has he recommended you do to stop the vomiting?

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

MickeyDee
on 12/17/13 3:59 pm

I'm not an expert, as this hasn't happened to me, but I've read descriptions here that sound like your symptoms.  You may have developed a stricture, which is where the stoma heals almost closed.  You definitely need to run this past your surgeon. The fix is relatively simple;  it is called an EDG, where the doctor puts a balloon down your throat and gently opens the stoma.  You would be under a mild sedative, and would need someone to take you to and from the office.

Definitely talk to your surgeon.

mjd2013
on 12/17/13 7:34 pm

Hi there,

I've had the nausea and vomiting since my surgery. It's never gone away.

I had an Upper GI yesterday to try to figure this out. He ordered some more blood work and will use that to decide if I should go back in the hospital.

Thank you both for taking the time to respond.

MJ

Valerie G.
on 12/18/13 6:57 am - Northwest Mountains, GA

Call your surgeon ASAP.  It could be something as simple as dehydration (and an IV will make you feel SO much better), or it could be something much more serious. 

Do not delay with this.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

mjd2013
on 12/18/13 7:09 am

Hi there,

I don't think it's dehydration. I ended up in the hospital twice (a week each time) after my surgery. I had emergency surgery to remove my gall bladder about a week after my bypass. Two weeks after that, I basically collapsed in pain and was in the hospital getting fluids and Potassium drip. I was concerned about that so I've been drinking water non-stop to avoid a repeat.

I had to go back for another blood draw today because the surgeon is ordering more tests. Hopefully, he'll get a report tomorrow and we'll know something. I feel like roadkill.

Thanks for your help.

Most Active