RNY done wrong

felise73
on 1/1/14 9:00 pm - ID
RNY on 02/23/12

Hi.  I had RNY done almost 2 years ago and I immediately had an obstruction.  The surgeon went back in and did a revision.  I continued to have issues with scar tissue which required multiple EGD procedures. It has been almost a year and a half since I had any blockages.  The other day, I had shooting pain in my abdomen.  It continued into the next day and so I went in to the ER.  They did a Ct scan which showed a blockage.  I have moved so I had a different surgeon do this surgery. When he went in, he found that my origninal surgeon did not make  a "Y" shape.  Rather, he made a "Q" shape with my intestines forming a circle.  I have have had so many issues with food, keeping things down, etc, for past 2 years, it makes sense why know.  Apparently at the anastimosis sight, food, liquids are backing up into my old stomach and intestine areas.  I now have to go to another town  where they have a center of excellence because they say I need a complete revision.  Has anyone had this issue?  I am just wondering why the original surgeon would do this and if this warrants look at malpractice.  Apparently my old surgeon recently had his "center of excellence" revoked and he told my current surgeon he did not want to do the revision because it would be too difficult.  Sounds fishy to me.....any suggestions?

Vivian Prouty
on 1/1/14 9:22 pm - Fort Worth, TX

First off....I am so sorry that you have had to go through all these issues and still don't have them resolved yet.   I personally think you have a reason to seek legal advice.   I don't know why a doctor would do surgery on someone if he didn't know what he was doing.    Seems like his "Center of Excellence" status was revoked speaks volumes.  You might also want to contact who gives the status of " Center of Excellence" and see if you can find out their reasoning for revoking it.    Praying for you and for your revision to be good to you in the new year and good luck on your decisions you have to make concerning these issues.

Hugs and blessings ~~~ Vivian

GOD GRANT ME THE SERENITY TO ACCEPT THE THINGS I CAN NOT CHANGE;   COURAGE TO CHANGE THE THINGS THAT I CAN;  AND THE WISDOM TO KNOW THE DIFFERENCE !!!!    THIS IS MY DAILY PRAYER.
Vivian Prouty      Obesity Help Support Group Coach  "LOSE IT 4 LIFE"

(deactivated member)
on 1/1/14 10:40 pm

I am sorry you are going through this.I am sure when you heard this it explained a lot about what you have been through.I hate to say this but I would contact a lawyer.What you have been through is horrible.I am sure at times you thought you were crazy for feeling the way you do.I would ask around your friends if they know a good lawyer.I hope everything goes well.

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 1/1/14 10:57 pm - OH

Contact an attorney and immediately request a complete copy of your medical record from the original surgeon as well as all records from the hospital related to the surgery (pre-op testing, the surgery itself, and your hospital stay after surgery).  Also request copies of all records for the EGDs and any other procedures you had done related to the blockages, pain, etc.

i don't know how much info is public with regard to COE determinations and revocations, but I would sure try to get as much info as I could from them, as well, because that would be valuable information to have when you speak to the attorney.

I hope they can get this fixed for you quickly.  How horrible to have had so much trouble.  (I'm still trying to figure out HOW a surgeon could screw up a Y and turn it into a Q!)

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

Amy Farrah Fowler
on 1/2/14 6:26 am

It sounds like you should talk to an attorney, but GET ALL OF YOUR RECORDS FIRST.  Parts of medical records seem to have a knack for disappearing.

Valerie G.
on 1/2/14 6:29 am - Northwest Mountains, GA

Definitely get a lawyer for this one.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

MsBatt
on 1/2/14 6:49 am

It's malpractice if he told you he was going to do an RNY. However, a loop bypass is not an unknown procedure, just not one that's often done because of the potential bad side effects. Can you get a copy of your consent form?

Most Active