10 Cold Hard Facts about WLS (Cross-post)

Lorrainecma
on 1/7/14 10:45 pm

Right on!

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 1/3/14 12:59 am - OH

Actually, no you DON'T have to exercise, either to lose the weight or to maintain the loss.  Many people have physical limitations and do just fine.  They do, however, have to lower their food intake to account for the lack of exercise.

Also, not everyone is a slave to the scale.

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

Patm
on 1/4/14 5:55 am - Ontario, Canada
RNY on 01/20/12

Physical limitations should not stop someone from movement. I know many people who have not had this operation who are physically disabled and find ways to move. From a sever RA friend with 5 hip replacements who swears by tai chi and aqua fit to a friend in a wheelchair with spina bifida who performs dancing with a partner. People with disabilities need to move in some way as well for muscle tone and health. Even a quad will be manually manipulated to increase circulation. If someone chooses not to exercise that is fine but a disability is never a deterent to anything

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 1/4/14 7:12 am - OH

Movement is different from exercise, at least in my book. You talk about quadriplegics being manually manipulated... but most people do "move" all through the day as they go about their normal lives, but that is NOT what this list was talking about! I am not going to argue over semantics.  

What I will say is that the only way people will stick with any kind of "physical activity" outside of their normal daily activities is if they like it, and for people with physical issues, especially backs and knees, MANY types of physical activities cause significant pain (and no one is going to continue something that causes pain at every turn). So a disability that causes pain is, indeed, a significant deterrent to exercise, and to argue otherwise would be ludicrous.

Before I had both of my knees replaced, even water exercises were difficult simply because -- even without any weight on my knees -- it hurt just to bend them.  Walking hurt (some days a LOT), biking hurt, swimming or water aerobics hurt, ellipticals hurt, and things like yoga and Zumba were out of the question.

I stand by my assertion that no one NEEDS formal exercise or even special physical activity to lose the weight or keep it off.  MANY people do it. People will be healthier if they get some type of regular physical activity, but they a mot doomed to obesity if they don't.  It is more difficult because you have to be more disciplined about what you eat, but exercise is NOT a requirement

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

Lorrainecma
on 1/7/14 10:49 pm

You are so right Lora. Exercise has not been a big part of my weight loss or maintenance, but I do occasionally. I absolutely have to watch what I eat though. 

Julia HasHerLifeNow
on 1/3/14 1:59 am
VSG on 10/09/12

Yes to number 6. I am way too short but other than that I fully expect this!

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com 5ft0; highest weight 222; surgery weight 208; current weight 120

(deactivated member)
on 1/3/14 3:58 am

Yeah, me too! Well, maybe not Victoria Secret, but at least a strapping Calvin Klein underwear model!

Christina_NC
on 1/3/14 4:13 am - NC

AGREE with all!  Nothing harsh in that list - just truths.  

A. Kondrlik
on 1/3/14 6:48 am
VSG on 01/24/13

I love your post. 

Especially #4!  I CAN eat anything, but I must not.

Very pertinent for me today,  i just WANTED to eat all day, I was not hungry.  just white knuckled through it.

Anne

sandi9
on 1/3/14 9:57 am - Australia

I love love love your list!

I too was Banded 5 1/2 years ago, went through a very bad slippage ordeal, and then 7 weeks ago just had my 3rd surgery with RNY revision. I am now having to start all over again, as I regained all my weight I had lost, in just 6 short months of being without the band. It was devastating. 

Your list contains all the truths and some.

I live in a tiny country seaside town in Australia with no support groups any where within reach, so doing it on my own, and reading others experiences on forums has been inciteful. I could write my own book I think!

I love this site, and feel it supports me on my tough days, when the head hunger wants to take over. Each day presents its own challenges, with a lifetime of more of it to come.

Cheers, Sandi, Australia.

Most Active