*freezing*

Susan M.
on 1/3/14 4:20 pm

I tried to google this but I just get stuff about games freezing or common cold post op, so sorry if it's a common question.

I'm around 3 weeks post-op and I am *freezing*, all the time.  I'm getting in my liquid and my protein.  My husband says my metabolism must be rock bottom or something.  My hands and feet keep going purple/blue (I had three layers on today, plus super thick slippers over fuzzy socks) my back/arms/legs/face were all cold to touch and my nose feels like i've been out in fall weather.

I've been doing stretches, wiggling my toes and rubbing/opening/closing my hands trying to get my blood flowing but the second I stop I'm frozen again.  I kept telling myself that this will help me lose some of the weight but so far I've only lost two pounds after week 1 (and I have about 180 pounds to lose total).

I hoped swimming would help but no luck yet.  

Has anyone else dealt with this?  Is it common? How else can I fix it?

Thanks for taking the time to read this.

brrrrrr

enibas2
on 1/3/14 4:45 pm - Canada
It happens to everybody, i am almost 2 years after surgery and i am still cold, looks like its all the fat we lost, remember we had like 100 pounds of fat before dont worry it will be ok
jimjayhawk
on 1/3/14 6:40 pm
RNY on 02/10/13

Yep! It happens... we lost our insulation and without as much weight to lug around our metabolism has changed. 

I put on sweatpants MUCH earlier in the fall than ever before, wear a little skullcap most of the day when sitting around the house, and ALWAYS have 2-3 layers on... more often than not one being a thermal base and I'm just barely comfortable... whereas in my obese days, I was ALWAYS hot, could run around in winter wearing a pair of shorts and a t-shirt... 

In the balance though, I'll accept being cold all the time over carrying around an additional 170#s....

Grim_Traveller
on 1/3/14 7:30 pm
RNY on 08/21/12

This is very common. It's not a loss of insulation, or drop in calories. Those that get the freezing effect get it as soon as they wake up from surgery, so they still have plenty of insulation. It's an endocrine issue --hormones. A related and also immediate hormonal change reverses type 2 diabetes. It's a side effect of the surgery unfortunately.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

martitalinda
on 1/3/14 10:01 pm

It is coooooooooooollllllllllllddddddddddddddd.... brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.... my hands and feet and NOSE are always COLD!.... I used to have an internal furnace ... before surgery I could go through the coldest winters with light jackets ... never wore heavy coats ... but now I layer up and bundle up ... A LOT ... even in the summer we now save a lot on air conditioning ... in the past everyone complained about how cold I kept the house when I was burning up ... not anymore LOL..... welcome to the club.... To be on the safe side though bring this up with your doctor next visit to be on the safe side....

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com

autumnsiggy2RNY 2/5/07 no regain having implemented lifestyle changes....

onelilbirdie
on 1/3/14 10:20 pm
Hi, Susan, Yes, this does seem to be something we WLS folks contend with. Keep moving! A body in motion is expending calories. As for your weight loss, be patient with yourself. Remember, you may be losing inches, not pounds at the moment, Keep your fluid intake up! What ever the victory is, take it and run with it! ;0)

Susan M.
on 1/4/14 1:17 am

Thanks everyone.  I was expecting to be cold after I lost the/some weight (my husband and daughter are always cold but they are super skinny and never gain anything).  I just didn't expect it right after surgery.

I guess it makes sense if it's on a sub-level and less related to the weight.

I will mention it to my doctor next time I see him just in case since I had some hormone issues before the surgery.  Thanks!

Linda_S
on 1/4/14 9:46 am - Eugene, OR

Yes, it's a very common thing.  I have lots of sweaters, sweatshirts and several boxes of hand and toe warmers.  Stock up -- you're going to need them!

Success supposes endeavor. - Jane Austen

Most Active