NEVER order from bariatriceating.com!

Dcgirl
on 1/6/14 10:35 pm - DC
RNY on 12/16/13

I am going to cross-post this in a few forums, since whether we are pre-op or post-op, this is relevant to us all.

We all know the commitment that goes into having WLS.  

Time-wise:Numerous appointments (an informational seminar, an endoscopy, an exercise test, a psychiatric evaluation, surgeon appointments, nutrition classes for 3 or 6 months, pre-op testing, EKG, a full physical) and sometimes more!

Then, you have to take a week or two or more off of work for the actual surgery.

Money-wise: Eating a healthy high protein diet is NOT cheap.  Shakes are costly, and we often have to try numerous brands and flavors to find shakes we like.  Lean meat is significantly more expensive than processed carbs.  My insurance only covered 90% so I had to pay $1,200 before I even had the procedure.

I have to just tell you about the terrible experience I have had with bariatriceating.com.  This is a personal experience, and some of you may say "I love them" but if you plan to order from this site, I want you to go in with eyes wide open.  I have ordered protein drinks and powders from GNC, Amazon, and bariatriceating.com.  Well I just got a package from bariatriceating.com and realized I didn't want/need the powder I had ordered.  I asked for a return shipping address so I can send it back.  I figured I would have to pay return shipping and I was willing to do so.  However, I receieve this reply:

"Your order of protein was $71.00. You will pay $10 in shipping to return it. Then we’ll deduct 25% restocking; $18. You will only receive back $43."

I have never heard of a 25% restocking fee.  Not even for electronics.  This is highway robbery, in my opinion.  I have returned protein powder to amazon and there was no restocking fee at all.  I wanted to share this story so you would all avoid having this same experience happen.  WLS is hard enough without having a company rip you off.  

(deactivated member)
on 1/6/14 11:01 pm - Wiesbaden, Germany
DS on 10/08/13

What I find amazing is THAT YOU ACTUALLY GOT ANY PRODUCT AFTER YOUR CREDIT CARD WAS CHARGED.

I recommend you do a Google search on this company.  I think the BBB complaints and the lawsuits will knock your socks off.

I recommend that you consider using, selling or giving the protein away to a friend before you try to return it.

poet_kelly
on 1/6/14 11:28 pm - OH

Good point.  If you send it back, you probably won't ever actually get a refund.  Better just keep it.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

MyLady Heidi
on 1/7/14 2:39 am

I was thinking the same thing, I thought SM screwed everyone over and her site wasn't operating anymore.  Glad to see she is back and better then ever.  lol

goddessgrrl
on 1/7/14 4:16 pm - VA

HIJACK: Hey Caramel, I didn't know you were in Germany! Hope you're doing great! xoxo gigi

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com

(deactivated member)
on 1/8/14 1:29 am - Wiesbaden, Germany
DS on 10/08/13

Oh my, Goddessgrrl, it's good to "see" you.

To be honest, I have been through hell and back.  I got a gastric tumor less than a year out from band to sleeve revision and had to have surgery here in Germany.  On the plus side, my surgeon was the one that Dr. Keshishian had referred me to before I left Los Angeles, I got the DS, and the tumor was benign.  So, I'm way ahead of the game (it could have been FAR worse.).

Smooch, smooch!

The Salty Hag
on 1/6/14 11:24 pm
RNY on 05/20/13

The same thing happened with my husband when he ordered car parts for his race car, but slightly different cir****tances. The website screwed up and he was sent the wrong parts. It was an expensive order too. He emailed them to complain ad request a refund. They told him he'd only get a part of his refund due to shipping and a restocking fee. He pretty much went ballistic and wrote email after email and made many phone calls. He absolutely refused to back down. He was finally a big enough pain in their asses and he rightfully received a full refund. It took the better part of two months! 

We went online to check out the company's reputation and found many complaints about them doing the same thing to other customers. 

I have heard of a 10% restocking fee, but never heard 25%. Yikes. Sorry you have had to endure that kind of customer "service."  Examples like yours are why I rarely order anything online. ( except handbags, but I don't return them. I "cut the tags and move in" immediately in most cases. )

I woke up in between a memory and a dream...

Tom Petty

Dcgirl
on 1/6/14 11:39 pm - DC
RNY on 12/16/13

That must have been SO frustrating for your husband!  I can't deal with these people for two months - I already feel slightly unbalanced and occasionally rage-filled since surgery and that would just irritate me beyond reason lol.  I will keep the powder - maybe I can sell them to someone at my support group at a smaller loss than I would in sending it back to them.  I shop online ALL THE TIME.  As an amazon prime member, I can buy anything from them and it comes two days later, with free shipping.  I don't mind paying my own return shipping but a 25% restocking fee for two packages of powder?!?!  

P.S. I love handbags too!

Kim B.
on 1/10/14 12:54 pm - worthington, OH
RNY on 04/15/13

Your husband should have just disputed it on the credit card for the car parts, since thats not what he ordered.  They would have charged it back to the company.  There is no way I would deal with any company that long!

HW: 425lbs 11/2013, Pre-surgery 410.3lbs 4/15/2013
Find Me on Facebook name "Kim Wls Journey"

Kate -True Brit
on 1/7/14 1:35 am - UK

I understand your frustration.  But here in the UK they probably wouldn't take it back anyway.  Unless it is faulty, food and medicines are generally non-returnable as once they leave the store they cannot be resold for health and hygiene reasons. Unlikely, I know, but there have been occasional incidences of idiots injecting things into apparently sealed food stuffs. Some companies take them back but it is a goodwill gesture which costs them. Doesn't apply to car parts!!!!

Highest 290, Banded - 248   Lowest 139 (too thin!). Comfort zone 155-165.

Happily banded since May 2006.  Regain of 28lbs 2013-14.  ALL GONE!

But some has returned! Up to 175, argh! Off we go again,

Most Active