Type 1 diabetic GB requirements

Auntierara
on 1/9/14 10:17 am

Hello! I am just starting my research and wondered if anyone could answer a question for me.  Are the requirements any different for patients who have T1 and are looking into GB? 

poet_kelly
on 1/9/14 10:47 am - OH

I'm not sure what requirements you're referring to.  Or whose requirements you mean.  If you mean the requirements of your insurance company in order to have them pay for WLS, you'd need to check with your insurance company.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Auntierara
on 1/9/14 11:30 am

I'm referring to the provider/surgeon. It's my understanding that once I get the pre auth from my ins co approved, I then have to go through dean's comprehensive weight mgmt program whi*****luded a bunch of nutrition and other appts plus prove multiple attempts at previous weight loss, I'm probably not explaining myself very well so I apologize for that. Basically I'm wondering if I have to go through the exact same steps that someone without diabetes would have to go through in order to get approved through the program plus for insurance which I know insurance is up to my own insurance I just didn't know if everyone else had to go through the same comprehensive weight management program type thing that the non diabetic person would do

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 1/9/14 12:57 pm - OH

Yes, you will likely have to jump through a standard set of hoops for the surgeon.  The specific requirements vary from one surgeon to another, but individual surgeons establish one set of requirements regardless of what your weight or co-morbidities are.  Someone with diabetes and sleep apnea have to go through the same hoops as someone who has neither of those things.

It is the same with insurance companies.  I am not aware of any insurance plan that requires people with certain health issues to meet different requirements for approval than someone who has no health issues.

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

Auntierara
on 1/9/14 8:12 pm

Thank you!

poet_kelly
on 1/9/14 7:57 pm - OH

That would be up to the surgeon.  I didn't have to go through any kind of weight management program.  I had to meet with a dietician once, have a psych eval, attend a four hour class at my surgeon's office (it was mostly about post op nutrition), and have an endoscopy.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Auntierara
on 1/9/14 8:14 pm

Thank you!

suzann4021
on 1/9/14 7:29 pm - Syracuse, NY

i have type 1 diabetes and had a RNY on 12/9/13. I had to jump through the same insurance hoops as any other patient (but I also did not have to do anything additional because of the type 1 diabetes). One thing I would recommend when you are looking for a surgeon is to find one who has done gastric bypass on other type 1 diabetes. After surgery there are many things much different for a type 1 diabetic than for individuals without it. For instance. I have had type 1 for 34 years and have always needed to eat some carbs prior to exercising or my blood sugar will bottom out. After surgery, I have found it very difficult to adjust my insulin (I am on an insulin pump) and find ways to eat my necessary protein and still be able to get carbs in before exercise). I have also found exercise challenging because since I do have to eat prior to exercising, fluids are also an issue. My surgeon does not allow drinking 30 minutes before and 60 minutes after eating. Since I have to exercise right after I eat, when I first started I became extremely dehydrated because I would be able to take in no fluids prior to, during and for up to 30 minutes after I exercise. I'm still working out the kinks with this I find I have spent as much time managing my diabetes as I have following the guidelines for surgery.

I recommend that you call some surgeon's offices and find out about their experience with type 1 diabetics. (You'll may have to make an appt to see the actual surgeon to find this out as I found most of the office staff and nurses in the office assumed I was asking about type 2 diabetics. After you find one, you can start the insurance auth process. Good luck to you. Let me know if you have any questions. I have found it difficult to find other type 1's who have gone through this.

Auntierara
on 1/9/14 8:16 pm

Thank you!

Most Active