trying to hav a baby...

yaelish
on 1/12/14 2:01 am - Israel

Hello friends,

I am Yael, 33 years old, I had my DS 4 years ago.
Me and my partner are thinking about starting a family, and we have been trying to do so for several month.
This week we started hormone injections for the first time and got very optimisti****il my family doctor called today, saying I have vitamin A deficiency and that I should stop all attempts...((
In my country (Israel), DS is very uncommon and although I have asked many types of doctors (hematologist, gastro, gynecologist) nobody really knows who should give advice before starting the fertility treatments (about my vitamin and metabolic status).
So I am asking for your advice: What are the tests you had to go through in order to be sure (as you can) that you are nutritionally stable before pregnancy? 
Also- would you stop fertility tries due to vit.A or D inefficiency? (These are the two I know are not well in my case. I also know I'm ok on the iron and protein department).

Thank you so much!!!

Yael

MsBatt
on 1/12/14 9:03 am

What is your Vitamin A level, and what vitamins are you taking now? Do you belong to any DS-specific on-line groups, like with FaceBook or such? If not, do so NOW---your best nutritional and vitamin advice will come from long-term DSers, not your doctors.

Case in point---many doctors don't realize that we DSers absorb only about 20% of the fat we eat, so we also only absorb about 20% of the fat-soluble vitamins A, D, E, and K.  This means that we need 1) larger doses, and 2) water-miscible formulations of those vitamins.

Most Active