Getting in protein

Aaccrr78
on 1/10/14 6:03 pm

I am 4 days post op and my doctor wants me drinking bariatric advantage protein shakes. 3 8 oz shakes broken up into 2 oz intervals. I can't stomach the shakes I hate the taste I'm sick of it and I don't want to have to drink that much. They only have like 20g of protein. What other protein shakes or liquids taste good and have a ton of protein ? How else can I get in protein? Can I still progress to the soft foods in a few days even if I can't get the shakes down ?

poet_kelly
on 1/11/14 1:24 am - OH

Try some other brands to see what you like.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

mkvand
on 1/11/14 5:44 am
VSG on 01/06/14 with

Nashua nutrition will sell you samples of any flavor they carry.  Order a bunch and see what you like best, because you're going to need them even after you progress to soft foods--your capacity is too low to get enough protein without them.

VSG 1/6/14 with Dr. Alvarez

mustlovepoodles
on 1/11/14 10:09 am
VSG on 12/31/13

I have several different flavors of protein at home, some are shake type and others are more like Crystal Light.  I like the Syntrax Nectars pretty well, although at first they were horrible. Then I learned to make them with about 12 ounces of water, instead of 8 ounces. I shake them up, then let them sit in the fridge for an hour or so. When I take them out I fill the rest of my cup with crushed ice.

Someone here gave me a tip for drinking protein...put it in a go cup with a top. It limits how much you can smell it. Also, at first I had to measure it out in 2 ounce portions. I kept the remainder in the fridge so it would be absolutely cold.

The first week out I could just barely get 4 ounces of liquid down each hour. I really had to force myself. It helped if I sat up very straight or got up and walked around so it would go straight down the drain.At first I was struggling to get 15gms in. Now I am 11 days out and I'm drinking 12 ounces of fluids easily. Protein is still pretty icky but I'm managing to choke it down, mind over matter, averaging 50-60gms per day.

Check with your surgeon to see what he expects. I went home from the hospital on day 5 with instruction to work on the protein, but if i can't get it down then at least get my 64 ounces of fluids in.

HW: 229 ; SW: 208 (-21);  GW: 125

Wt. Loss:   M1: 189 -(19)  M2: 178 (-11)  M3: 172 (-5)  M4: 170 (-2)  M5: 166 (-4)

"LADYbug-j" L
on 1/11/14 10:44 am, edited 1/11/14 10:47 am - Laurel, MD
The "Protein" is going to save you! and help you loose too.

It gives a full sensation. And helps with a wealth of good benefits,

I live and die by syntrax Nectar! Well I used, and I am drinking it again faithfully again in an effort to loose some re-gained wt. At 7 yrs. post op. It has good amount of protein grams.

The lemon ice tea is the best! tastes like powered ice tea from the canisters? from the stone age.

try it!

Good luck to you!
You can do it.
Jbug

"jbug"

LisaM30
on 1/11/14 1:40 pm - Wesley Chapel, FL

I agree with Synthrax Nectar products.  I personally love the Lemon Tea flavor.  I drink it everyday.  I also use a bit more water as it is really sweet and overpowering when not diluted with more water.  I was so sick of the chocolate/vanilla/strawberry protein powders, so this brand has my attention. 

If you google Synthrax and call their 800 number they will send you a sample of 13 of their flavors in single serve pouches for a dollar each.  This is really helpful because she have so many different flavors.

Good luck!

Live2lose1971
on 1/11/14 2:13 pm

I am 5 days post-op VSG and I know what you mean.  I can not drink 3 shakes and 64 ounces of water with this little stomach.  I was told by the nut protein first...so I wake up and sip on a premier protein from SAMs club.  These have 30 grams of protein and 11 ounces, 160 cal, low sugar.  They are keeping e alive at this point a I drink three per day.  I drink three per day and fill-in the gaps with water, decaf tea, apple juice, etc...  I am allowed runny grits and yogurt, etc... I am so stuffed from the liquids that I can't imagine how I could take one bite of anything else.  These protein shakes are higher than any that I've seen per serving over the counter. Good Luck!

GeekMonster, Insolent Hag
on 1/11/14 3:16 pm - CA
VSG on 12/19/13
Premier Protein shakes from Costco. 30 grams of protein. Try adding a tablespoon of sugar free fat free Jello pudding and ice and mix it in a blender. It helps to change up the flavors to make them more palatable.

"Oderint Dum Metuant"    Discover the joys of the Five Day Meat Test!

Height:  5'-7"  HW: 449  SW: 392  GW: 179  CW: 220

Valerie G.
on 1/11/14 9:31 pm - Northwest Mountains, GA

Before you make an order, if there is a nutrition store close to you, get someone to make a trip and buy single-servings of several different brands and flavors.  Don't expect bliss, but pray that you do find something that "sucks less".  

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

Most Active