Looking for anyone who has personally undergone hypnotherapy (for anything)

Kate -True Brit
on 1/11/14 11:19 pm, edited 1/12/14 1:31 am - UK

I do actually believe both acupuncture and hypnotherapy can work. But wonder if anyone has personal experience.  

I am really struggling to get back on track. My band is just as it should be but I am grazing, making bad choices etc.. Suppose not surprising, after all I have been "good" for about 80% of the last seven and a half years!  Wasn't going to last forever. My weight gain is not appalling but I need to check it NOW. And lose a bit as well!    

If I stick to meal time eating, I am fine.  So I was wondering if any of you have ever tried hypnotherapy? My understanding s that it works if the message is simple. Mine would be very simple - eat at designated meal times only.     i can control what goes into the meal and if I choose the correct food, my band works well for me. I just need to get back to simple meals, then walk away!   

I am told acupuncture can work to stop hunger but hunger is not my problem!   

Anyone ever tried hypnotherapy? With or without wls, or unconnected with weight loss at all.

Highest 290, Banded - 248   Lowest 139 (too thin!). Comfort zone 155-165.

Happily banded since May 2006.  Regain of 28lbs 2013-14.  ALL GONE!

But some has returned! Up to 175, argh! Off we go again,

AnneGG
on 1/11/14 11:52 pm

"What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the master calls the butterfly." Richard Bach

"Support fosters your growth. If you are getting enough of the right support, you will experience a major transformation in yourself. You will discover a sense of empowerment and peace you have never before experienced. You will come to believe you can overcome your challenges and find some joy in this world." Katie Jay

Kate -True Brit
on 1/11/14 11:58 pm - UK

Thanks, Anne. I will read through them later today.  In fact, I think I am comfortable with the idea of hypnosis and aware of its limitations.  I believe that if there is a good relationship of trust between the therapist and the person bring hypnotised, a simple, one stage behaviour can be reinforced. That's all I need and I am almost  certainly going to try.  Nothing to lose ( except for about $75!). 

But I would be interested to hear any personal experiences. 

AnneGG
on 1/12/14 1:51 am, edited 1/12/14 1:56 am

Great!

I've had some personal experience with both, but not for weight loss.

With the hypnotherapy, turns out I am highly suggestible, which also helps as well as the trust factor. But I did it just for fun, and thankfully wasn't told to do anything weird!

I can't say that I found the acupuncture to be all that helpful.

"What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the master calls the butterfly." Richard Bach

"Support fosters your growth. If you are getting enough of the right support, you will experience a major transformation in yourself. You will discover a sense of empowerment and peace you have never before experienced. You will come to believe you can overcome your challenges and find some joy in this world." Katie Jay

poet_kelly
on 1/12/14 12:35 am - OH

I tried hypno therapy for depression.  didn't help me at all.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Kate -True Brit
on 1/12/14 1:33 am - UK

Thanks, Poet_kelly

TurnThePage
on 1/12/14 1:16 am

Neither 'therapy' is likely to be very helpful, so save your money.  Get into therapy with a good  counselor experienced in dealing with weight loss problems.  Cognitive behavior therapy is particularly helpful.  Rather than mucking around in what happened to you way back in your childhood that makes you crave nachos today, you learn strategies and tools for dealing with your current issues.  

You might find the book "The Beck Diet Solution" by Judith Beck very helpful.  Her father created cognitive behavior therapy and she runs an institute which uses it to deal with weight problems. The book and accompanying workbook have some great tools for dealing with cravings, etc. It's written in a very straighforward way and you can zero in on pertinent sections when you need to focus on a behavior you want to change.

Kate -True Brit
on 1/12/14 1:28 am - UK

Thank you. I welcome any comments. I actually have a masters degree in Psychology and spent 20 years teaching it to students and so understand the basics of CBT.  I am also comfortable with the view that hypnotherapy can reinforce a simple message. However, as I have only academic knowledge, I am hoping to hear some personal experiences. 

TurnThePage
on 1/12/14 1:45 am, edited 1/12/14 1:46 am

I tried hypnotherapy with 2 well regarded therapists in a major metro area,  for both smoking and depression. Utterly useless and in the second case, the therapist planted a suggestion that turned out to be very unhelpful.

Kate -True Brit
on 1/12/14 1:46 am - UK

Thank you.  

Most Active