Why do I feel so defeated when ever my weight goes up?

onebigcelt
on 1/14/14 1:06 am - midlothian, VA
RNY on 11/22/13

I know it's just stinking thinking but I hate that it enters my head. Just lost like 4 lbs and put two back on and it's like the 120 I have lost means nothing. What is that all about?

KevinBacon
on 1/14/14 1:18 am
VSG on 03/10/14

Ha I haven't even had surgery yet and I can empathize!!! I think it's because our minds are used to being fat and overweight. 2 lbs might as well be 79 because your mind instantly tells you, well that's it, you're on your way back to 3 billion lbs because that's just what happens because you are meant to be fat and miserable your whole life. 

This exactly why I am going to keep a therapist on my contacts list and keep it very close 

Keep your head in the game and keep at it! You are doing amazing!

HW: 318 Date of Surgery: 3/10/14 SW: 270  CW: 154

onebigcelt
on 1/14/14 3:31 am - midlothian, VA
RNY on 11/22/13

Just one of those GRRRRRR kinda days. Need to get to the gym and do my laps so I will feel better about my progress. Tried yesterday but I could not get it in gear to do it.

Amy, Daredevil
Extraordinaire

on 1/14/14 3:57 am - Los Angeles, CA
DS on 08/06/13

I feel that way, too. But you have to remember that your weight will fluctuate a lot over the course of a few days. Even over the course of a few hours! If you feel this way all the time, it's best if you stay off the scale. Try to limit weighing yourself to once a week or even less.

*DS with Dr. Ara Keshishian on 08/06/13* SW: 231 CW: 131 GW: 119 * Check out My YouTube Channel: AmysDSJourney *

MeanStreak88
on 1/14/14 4:13 am - Opelika, AL

I have to agree with Amy1....stay off the scale. I am over 8 years out and I went thru the same thing. It drove me nuts. Try and limit yourself to maybe hitting the scale once a week...anticipate it. Work for it. Stay diligent. 

onebigcelt
on 1/14/14 4:19 am - midlothian, VA
RNY on 11/22/13

It's just today.... It's raining and gloomy out and I wanna hit the gym... I like weighing in give me motivation. Just some days its like GRRRR RawwwRRRRR! lol 

poet_kelly
on 1/14/14 4:27 am - OH

Feeling defeated isn't motivating for me.  I don't think it's motivating for most people.  Is it really  motivating for you?

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Tracy D.
on 1/14/14 4:56 am - Papillion, NE
VSG on 05/24/13

I've had to work really, really hard on this one and I would encourage you to work on it also.   DO NOT LET A NUMBER ON THE SCALE DEFINE YOUR HAPPINESS OR BE YOUR MOTIVATION!   

You know as well as I do that if the scale pops up 1 lb., 2 lb. or 3 lb overnight that it is NOT real weight...it's water weight and therefore not "real".  So focus on what is real:  1) clothes fitting better, 2) belts being loose, 3) being able to do more push-ups, sit-ups, minutes on the treadmill, 4) being able to say "no" to that cookie or carby/salty snack and being OK with it, And if you have to focus on numbers, focus on the important numbers like your blood pressure, blood sugar, cholesterol levels, etc.  THAT is what is important regardless of some arbitrary number on the scale that can change a dozen times in one day.

By the way - YOU ARE DOING FANTASTIC!   

Tracy  5'3"     HW: 235  SW: 218  CW: 132    M1: -22  M2: -13  M3: -12  M4: -9  M5: -8   M6: -10   M7: -4

Goal reached in 7 months and 1 week

Lower Body Lift w/Dr. Barnthouse 7-8-15

(deactivated member)
on 1/14/14 5:11 am

You have accomplished a lot so far.Two pounds isn't a lot to gain but that is easy for me to say.It is very interesting that men also have these feelings also.I am being nice saying this not being sarcastic. Go stand next to someone who you think is about 120 lbs and think that used to be stuck to your body.You lost a whole person off of you.I think this time of year can be a pain.Stay off the scale for a couple of days.I hate the rain.But if we didn't have rain we wouldn't appreciate the sunshine.

H.A.L.A B.
on 1/14/14 5:45 am

in 2 weeks I gained 10 lbs.  I was and I am still sick and I had a very few choices of any food that would stay down.  I know most of it is water weight... it is still weight... but the priority now is for me to get 100% and get rid of that... 

even at my goal - I can gain 5-10 lbs  in a very short time... it is life... 

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

Most Active