Food hurts in my throat!

canttouchus
on 1/15/14 11:31 am
RNY on 01/07/14

Hi everybody,

I'm a week post op and I just started my soft food diet. Every time I take a bite, I can feel it going down my esophagus. It's tight and a little painful. What's going on? Am I taking too big of bites? Does this last forever? Help please!

"There is strength inside of you that you have yet to discover."

poet_kelly
on 1/15/14 11:52 am - OH

They didn't do anything to  your esophagus during surgery, but you had a breathing tube (that went down your throat, but in your trachea, not your esophagus.  Your throat might still be a little sore from the breathing tube.  But your esophagus is the same size it was pre op so if the size bites you're taking now went down OK pre op, they should go down OK now.  If you keep having pain, I'd call your doc.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Kate -True Brit
on 1/15/14 11:57 am - UK

As Kelly says. But it would make it easier to reply if you said which surgery you have had. 

Highest 290, Banded - 248   Lowest 139 (too thin!). Comfort zone 155-165.

Happily banded since May 2006.  Regain of 28lbs 2013-14.  ALL GONE!

But some has returned! Up to 175, argh! Off we go again,

canttouchus
on 1/15/14 1:08 pm
RNY on 01/07/14

Sorry. I had RNY. Can your throat stay swollen for that long though?

"There is strength inside of you that you have yet to discover."

Alma_Barillas
on 1/15/14 4:15 pm
RNY on 12/20/13

I know what you mean I'm almost a month Out and sometimes even when I drink water my throat hurts

The Best Is Yet To Come

Tracy D.
on 1/15/14 10:31 pm - Papillion, NE
VSG on 05/24/13

My throat hurt for awhile and I attributed it to the breathing tube too.  But then it continued to cause me problems because I had acid reflux at night that was bubbling up and causing esophagus problems.  Are you taking a PPI for acid?  Just an FYI....reflux can sometimes cause those esophagus issues.  

Tracy  5'3"     HW: 235  SW: 218  CW: 132    M1: -22  M2: -13  M3: -12  M4: -9  M5: -8   M6: -10   M7: -4

Goal reached in 7 months and 1 week

Lower Body Lift w/Dr. Barnthouse 7-8-15

basilmk
on 1/15/14 1:20 pm - FL
RNY on 01/07/14

I am also a week out fro RNY and still have a scratchy throat. Try a sf Popsicle...it will feel great! 

Good luck!

Most Active