More Legs & Before/After Pictures

Kathy & Rich
on 12/15/04 5:56 am - Fairfax, VA
Amy posted her before and after legs pictures and the difference since her weight loss and lymphedema treatments are just absolutely amazing. So I thought I'd post pictures of a milder case of lymphedema. My husband had undiagnosed lymphedema for over 10 years mostly in the right calf. The leg was painful at times and certainly caused his to miss out on things in life due to the pain. He had two hospitalizations due to severe infections in the leg (which is common to lymphedema and causes cellulitis which is nasty and dangerous to say the least.) Doctors did doppler scans thinking he had circulation issues or clots to no avail. Our PCP felt that with weight loss surgery, that his leg would get better. But again, she never told him that he had lymphedema. His leg did get smaller post-op but in porportion to the loss elsewhere on his body. Back when I was researching WLS for him I stumbled across Amy's website and saw her legs and while Rich's legs didn't quite look that way I researched further and found pictures that were carbon copies of his legs. I suggested MLD (manual lymphatic drainage) treatment to him but he wanted to wait to see what the weight loss would yield. About a month ago, I again suggested the MLD since there was no big change in his legs from the WLS and he agreed. He got our PCP to give him a script for the treatment and he went to a trained physical therapist. The difference is amazing. Please view for yourself. His leg improved in 4 weeks where he has been released from treatment. He wears compression on his leg and there is no swelling during the day at all. He varies what he wears on it and sometimes wraps it and also has something called cirq-aides that he wears on it. He'll wear compression for the rest of his life but a small price to pay for having a "normal" leg again. He cannot wait to be in good enough shape to play basketball. He is heading to the gym soon. Life is great. Here is the link: www.geocities.com/findingkathy/legs.htm Kathy waiting on insurance submission
Amy Williams
on 12/15/04 5:04 am
Kathy, You don't know how happy reading your post makes me feel! I'm so glad that we went for treatments. I know that he must feel so much better. This is exactly why I talk about Lymphedema so much and over and over. The people that have no idea that they are suffering from this and there is help that does work if done correctly. Bless you for posting these pictures. Getting the word out is what makes people aware of this. I can't even believe the number of people I've found that had this and had no idea. Like your husband most people assume just losing the weight will make it go away, but it's not til you get treatments and correct MLD that it will. His legs looks so much better. Tell him I'm so proud of him. Now those infections will be under control and so will the pain! God Bless! Amy
Amy Williams
on 12/15/04 5:05 am
Kathy, You don't know how happy reading your post makes me feel! I'm so glad that we went for treatments. I know that he must feel so much better. This is exactly why I talk about Lymphedema so much and over and over. The people that have no idea that they are suffering from this and there is help that does work if done correctly. Bless you for posting these pictures. Getting the word out is what makes people aware of this. I can't even believe the number of people I've found that had this and had no idea. Like your husband most people assume just losing the weight will make it go away, but it's not til you get treatments and correct MLD that it will. His legs looks so much better. Tell him I'm so proud of him. Now those infections will be under control and so will the pain! God Bless! Amy
(deactivated member)
on 12/15/04 5:59 am - Las Vegas, NV
Wonderful Tek
Amy Williams
on 12/15/04 6:04 am
Thanks!! Amy
Most Active