Sleeve vs. Lapband

sperez2j
on 1/17/14 7:24 am - Austin, TX

I am 2 months away from surgery, and 1 week from deciding what type of surgery I would like to have. I am still very unsure about what type of surgery to have. I have researched both surgeries , and know the pros & cons . I want to know about positive experience for either one? What made you decide on the surgery you chose? What surgery did you have?

Thank you! :)

Nic M
on 1/17/14 8:28 am

I chose the Lap Band over 10 years ago. It was the single worst decision I EVER made in my entire life. 

Google Lap Band + failure rates. It's not a good long term option, in my opinion and I would not recommend it. The Mayo Clinic is no longer offering gastric banding due to the high failure rate. A lot of surgeons are opting to not do banding anymore. I'd focus my research more on the sleeve or the DS, personally.

Best of luck to you in your research and your surgery, whichever one you decide upon. 

sperez2j
on 1/17/14 9:39 am - Austin, TX

Thanks for the info! Wow , I had no idea.

Nic M
on 1/17/14 1:05 pm

The advertising is really good for the band. The reality is really bad for most of us. 

I went into surgery with the best intentions, ready to change my life and get healthy... and I came out damaged and it got worse and worse the longer the band was in me. I don't have a lot of regrets in life, but choosing the band is definitely one of the biggest, most definitely. 

Research until you wanna puke. kiss  It's the only way to find out the good, bad, and ugly. You're doing the right thing by asking questions and welcoming honest answers. 

Hislady
on 1/17/14 9:15 am - Vancouver, WA

I wouldn't take a band if you gave it to me free on a silver platter, it just never worked for me not matter how well I followed the rules. The sleeve is a life long help where the band is only good for 10 years max according to the manufacturer. I have a relative that basically had the sleeve for stomach cancer over 20 yrs ago and he is still going strong, healthy as a horse so that would be my choice!

sperez2j
on 1/17/14 9:48 am - Austin, TX

Glad to hear hes doing well!

mustlovepoodles
on 1/17/14 9:29 am
VSG on 12/31/13
I was terrified of the lapband because of the very high complication rate. RNY was also not for me because I have severe arthritis and have to be able to take meds which are not allowed with RNY. I decided on the sleeve because its not a complicated surgery and they leave you intestines alone. The vitamin regimen is relatively minimal and not very expensive. I am almost 3 weeks postop and doing great!

HW: 229 ; SW: 208 (-21);  GW: 125

Wt. Loss:   M1: 189 -(19)  M2: 178 (-11)  M3: 172 (-5)  M4: 170 (-2)  M5: 166 (-4)

sperez2j
on 1/17/14 9:41 am - Austin, TX

Yay, 3 weeks. Im so excited/happy for you. Glad to hear your doing great.  Thanks for the info.:)

TexasTerritory
on 1/17/14 9:37 am
VSG on 07/22/13
I had my surgery in Austin. I love my sleeve. My research discovered many negative things about the lapband. My pre-op, surgery and recovery were all unremarkable. Healing has been great. Didn't want to reroute my intestines as required for the RNY. The sleeve has been a blessing for me.

sperez2j
on 1/17/14 9:43 am - Austin, TX

Hey !! I am also having surgery with Ghanta!(Saw on your member info) When did you have your surgery?

Most Active