What does RNY stand for? I'm new! :-p

Jane S.
on 2/6/05 2:39 pm - Redmond, WA
MrsTao
on 2/6/05 2:51 pm - Milwaukee, WI
Gastric bypass RNY is short for Roux-en-Y which is Laparoscopic Minimally Invasive Obesity Surgery Treatment for Weight Loss Terri
Vanilla Lace
on 2/6/05 3:10 pm - Wild and Wonderful, WV
Roux-en-y is also done as an open gastric bypass surgery. Vicki
MsBatt
on 2/6/05 3:12 pm
RNY stands for Roux-en-Y, a surgical technique developed by a French surgeon name Roux over a hundred years ago. Back in the mid-1950s, surgeons began to notice that patients who'd had this procedure (for the treatment of stomach cancer) routinely lost a significal amount of weight, and the field of WLS (weight-loss surgery) was born. In the decades since, may forms of WLS have been developed. Currently, there are 20+ forms of WLS available, but the Big Five are the RNY, the DS, the VBG, the LapBand, and the Fobi Pouch. Each has its' own 'surgical forum' here at OH, and I strongly recommend that you read up on each and EVERY one of them before you decide which is the right one for YOU. Each form of WLS has it's pros and cons ( long-term results, lifestyle changes, impact on various medical conditions, etc.), and in order to make the best possible choice fou YOU you'll need to learn as much as possible about ALL of them. For ME, the DS was the hands-down BEST choice. It might be for you, too---so come on over and check it out for yourself. http://www.obesityhelp.com/morbidobesity/surgtype-forums/DS
Jane S.
on 2/7/05 8:57 am - Redmond, WA
Thank you, thank you, thank you!! I really appreciate your definitions to all of the various types of wls...especially since I'm "new" to all this!! Jane S
Most Active