I Failed!!!

Alanphier
on 1/30/14 4:31 am - Clifton, VA

I had RNY on 29 Jan 2003. While I did initally lose over 150lbs and felt pretty and confident for the first time in a long time.......I have some how managed to gain nearly all of it back. For years I maintained a 75 lbs loss and still considered my surgery a success. Now I am over 300lbs again and just consider myself a complete failure. I don't know what to do and so much has changed in my life since then. I'm divorced after 29 years and really don't even know what is available out there now. Can anyone help me? I really need some mentors.

Amy, Daredevil
Extraordinaire

on 1/30/14 5:19 am - Los Angeles, CA
DS on 08/06/13

First off, you are not alone! There are many people here who are dealing with or who have dealt with regain. Try checking out the "Back on Track Together" group (http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/backontracktogether/). 

*DS with Dr. Ara Keshishian on 08/06/13* SW: 231 CW: 131 GW: 119 * Check out My YouTube Channel: AmysDSJourney *

Alanphier
on 1/30/14 5:32 am - Clifton, VA

Thank You!

poet_kelly
on 1/30/14 5:33 am - OH

You say you "somehow" managed to gain it back.  Do you know why you gained it back?  I suggest starting by seeing a bariatric surgeon and maybe having a scope done to see if your pouch has stretched (chances are it hasn't but it would be good to know for sure), seeing a registered dietician to develop an appropriate meal plan, and probably seeing a therapist to discuss any emotional and behavioral issues.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

MsBatt
on 1/30/14 5:35 am

Here are a couple of interesting articles for you to start with:

http://www.obesityhelp.com/articles/choice-of-bariatric-procedure-a-philosophy-obtained-in-20-years-of-bariatric-practice-2/

http://www.obesityhelp.com/forums/amos/4416773/quotDoes-the-Patient-Fail-the-Procedure-or-Does-the/

Have you been back to see your surgeon, and been checked for a mechanical failure? Do you still journal your food? (If not, start NOW!) Can you post a typical day's menu here, including portion sizes and calorie/protein/fats/carbs counts?

Kate -True Brit
on 1/30/14 6:31 am - UK

We sll go into surgery thinking it will work and will last. Sadly you are not slone in what has happened. I don't have bypass and so am no expert, but I understand that after a few years malabsorption diminishes and so it gives less help. 

My suggestion would be to see an expert. A dietician, a surgeon, a counsellor. Someone who can look at what has happened and why and can work with you to decide the next step. That may be a new lifestyle plan, it may be surgery. 

Best wishes 

Highest 290, Banded - 248   Lowest 139 (too thin!). Comfort zone 155-165.

Happily banded since May 2006.  Regain of 28lbs 2013-14.  ALL GONE!

But some has returned! Up to 175, argh! Off we go again,

"LADYbug-j" L
on 1/30/14 9:39 am - Laurel, MD
I have regained back 30lbs. that was scary enough for me in it's self. So gaining it all back I am sure is more then disappointing to say the least. My biggest downfall was not weighing consistently to keep me on Track!! And now even after 7 yrs. later, I am trying to lose that 30lbs. & additional wt. as well. It can be done! I am here to tell you, please know this! I joined the "Back on Track Together" group, and there support and expertise is amazing and so helpful!
Check us out right here on OH!! We are here for you,
How BAD do you want it!!? Ask yourself, and make it happen.
For me, I 'am taking it day by day, pound, by pound, and although it's been a slow road, I will make it to my goal eventually, it took time to gain and it will take time to lose it. But you have to wok on it. Don't just give up now, & don't give up on yourself, you have come to far. It's never to late to try and save you self. We will help you if you are sincere about getting back on track! as we call it. The second time around will be a different and more meaningful journey! Life time changes and commitment indeed. Come Join us, we are waiting for you!
Peace-jbug

"jbug"

Eggface
on 1/30/14 10:20 am - Sunny Southern, CA

Go talk to your bariatric surgeon, tell him life happened and you need help... they have seen and heard it all. They will talk to you about options, check to see if there is a mechanical or underlying health reason for your weight gain and set you going on the road again.

P.S. There is NO SUCH THING AS A FAILURE... read this: http://theworldaccordingtoeggface.blogspot.com/2013/10/obesityhelp-conference-my-session.html

~Michelle "Shelly"

Weight Loss Surgery Friendly Recipes & Rambling
www.theworldaccordingtoeggface.com

Most Active