breaking adictions

PetHairMagnet
on 2/1/14 9:32 pm
RNY on 05/13/13
On February 1, 2014 at 1:54 PM Pacific Time, dancermom2_7 wrote:

Hello my name is Stephania and I am addicted to potatoes. There I said it!! Admitting is the first step right? I mean after that, its all down hill? No! I know we all have our "go to" food, some is chocolate, some is sweets... mine .. is potatoes.. (gasp) I know. I know.. I am trying to deal with this addiction, but I dont know how.

So I am coming here, for help, encouragement, advice on other things to eat that compare- or just laugh with me... cause I mean really.. who says I am addicted to the potatoe! I love it for its versitily.. I mean you can boil it, ma**** fry it, bake it, stick in a stew.. did I forget to mention it taste good!

Sigh.. I need to have a potatoe funeral, but them back in the ground where they belong. So long my loves.. so long.

S~

Are you pre- or post-op?

HW333--SW 289--GW of 160 5' 11" woman.  I only know the way I know & when you ask for input/advice, you'll get the way I've been successful through my surgeon & nutritionist. Please consult your surgeon & nutritionist for how to do it their way.  Biggest regret? Not doing this 10 years ago! Every day is better than the day before...and it was a pretty great day!

AnneGG
on 2/1/14 9:44 pm, edited 2/1/14 9:45 pm

I hear you about potatoes- and pasta and rice and bread and sweets and pastry and let's see what else I can come up with. I try to not have them in my house, my car, anywhere in my universe as much as possible and I don't buy them because they too seductively call my name. 

I can't resist, and I do treat it like an addiction- sugar and carbs effect the same pleasure center in the brain that drugs and alcohol do.

It's not fair, is it??? I intensely dislike having to naysay the foods I love, so I understand your funeral. RIP. 

"What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the master calls the butterfly." Richard Bach

"Support fosters your growth. If you are getting enough of the right support, you will experience a major transformation in yourself. You will discover a sense of empowerment and peace you have never before experienced. You will come to believe you can overcome your challenges and find some joy in this world." Katie Jay

(deactivated member)
on 2/2/14 10:32 pm
RNY on 04/10/14

I feel ya!  I have been drinking Diet Coke or Coke Zero every day in my life for as long as I can remember.

I thought for sure it was going to be agonizing to stop.

But you know what?  I quit on Jan 3rd and have not had a single carbonated beverage since and I don't even miss it!  Every time it starts to sound good I ask myself if I want to follow my doctor's instructions to the letter so that I am successful in this journey or do I just want to have a minute of something that tastes good and feel like a failure immediately afterwards.  Now that it has been almost a month I don't even want them anymore!  Now, chocolate is an entirely different matter!  :-)

Colleen O.
on 2/2/14 10:57 pm
VSG on 04/09/14

haha....I like the idea of re-burying the potatoes. 

I know exactly what you mean with this post.  Potaotes are one of my favorite foods.  They have been a part of my entire life (yep - I'm a stereotypical Irish person who LOVES her potatoes).  It's a very difficult thing to give up as are so many carbs.  I made major changes to my diet and lifestyle on 1/1.  There are many things I gave up eating and drinking but the first thing I will tell someone when they ask me how it's going is that I haven't had a potato in a month!  That's how big of a deal potatoes can be for me.  I really just had to completely get rid of them from my life. 

I can imagine putting the potatoes in the ground and throwing a handful of dirt over them as Taps is being played in the background....

HW: 387 (12/13)  ConsultW: 383 (12/13)  SW: 321 (4/9/14)  CW: 234.6 (10/19/14)

dancermom2_7
on 2/3/14 8:54 am - OH

LOL  I am happy I am not alone.. and others get it. yea!

HW 276 GW140  CW248

sleevelessinNY
on 2/5/14 4:26 am

Sweets and carbs in general are my triggers. I am still waiting for my surgery, but wondering how I am going to handle what comes after...

I love the idea of the funeral. Maybe I can get sweets and carbs from my house and have a ceremony. Include my kids (at least my 8 year old) in the process. And then next time she will ask for something sugary I'll tell her it is dead and gone.  LOL

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 2/5/14 4:53 am
RNY on 08/05/19

Hmm, are you a hobbit?? 

Mashed potatoes are/were one of my favorites. But after surgery, I've found that cauliflower is a decent enough substitute! Boil a few frozen florets, mash them up with a dab of Can't Believe it's Not Butter and maybe a little bit of Laughing Cow cheese, and it's actually pretty darn good. A tablespoon of that along with some shredded chicken breast makes for a pretty good dinner!

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

GreenGardener
on 2/5/14 9:39 pm
VSG on 06/02/09 with

There are healthy substitutes that can satisfy the itch:  Classic sub is mashed cauliflower -- there are several recipes out there.  I cut up a head in small pieces and steam it; use paper towels to get most of the water out; ma**** add cream cheese and parmesan cheese and mix up with a hand mixer like mashed potatoes.  If you are limiting your fat (I don't), it can be more difficult to get the creaminess you expect in mashed potatoes.  You can also "rice" cauliflower in a ricer, and then stir fry.  I also love sliced sauted radishes.  Don't knock them until you have tried them.  I use both the red radishes and the daikon; they make a lovely substitute for fried potatoes.  

SD:  6/09; HW:  263;  LW:  143; CW:  155; 5'5"; 62 yo
Most Active