on 2/5/14 9:24 am

Telogen effluvium....Google it. 

Proximal RNY Lap - 02/21/05

9 years committed ~  100% EWL and Maintaining

www.dazzlinglashesandbeyond.com

AnneGG
on 2/5/14 2:07 pm

I did google it- thanks!

"What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the master calls the butterfly." Richard Bach

"Support fosters your growth. If you are getting enough of the right support, you will experience a major transformation in yourself. You will discover a sense of empowerment and peace you have never before experienced. You will come to believe you can overcome your challenges and find some joy in this world." Katie Jay

Dorkgirl_41
on 2/5/14 12:52 pm - CA
RNY on 07/10/13

I had very thin hair for other reasons before I had surgery, so I too was worried about even more hair loss. But now that it's happening I'm just dealing with it, and accepting it and looking into wigs. Right now I'm wearing hats and using the Toppix hair fibers but it's not really enough for the coverage I need. Therapy is a good idea, like the others said, because if it's going to be upsetting you need to learn how to deal with it. Honestly, I thought I would get depressed over it. And while it does suck, I have learned to accept it as a trade off. I am so much healthier now after losing 100lbs that I would trade my hair for a longer, healthier life all over again. I can "replace" my hair. I can't replace me if I die an early death from too much fat around my heart. Hang in there. I know it's hard to think about, but really, those that love you would rather have you with less hair than not have you at all! :)

Start Wt: 355   Surgery Wt: 331   Current Wt: 253 Goal Wt: 175  Had RNY on 7/10/13

My blog about my journey - Up From Under

diane48
on 2/5/14 2:42 pm, edited 2/5/14 2:43 pm
RNY on 05/07/13

I'm 9 months out and have lost about half of my hair but it has almost stopped.  I also have lost all my blood pressure pills, high cholesterol meds, and a bunch of dress sizes!  I feel great!  Of course, I hated losing so much hair but it grows back.  Much rather be healthier and if that is the price to pay so be it. 

edited to add:

Keep your hairdresser informed!  That can make a big difference.

GreenGardener
on 2/5/14 9:32 pm
VSG on 06/02/09 with

I bought a wig in preparation, but never needed it.  If it happens, it will be temporary.  

SD:  6/09; HW:  263;  LW:  143; CW:  155; 5'5"; 62 yo
mary-john40
on 2/5/14 9:44 pm

Hi Mandopando.

Fist of all I would like to ask you why kind of surgery are you having? And second I would like to ask everybody on this topic: Is hair loss always happening after WLS?

Wish you all the best Mando

Grim_Traveller
on 2/5/14 10:14 pm
RNY on 08/21/12

I never lost any, and a lot of others haven't. But it is very common, and it always grows back.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

Valerie G.
on 2/5/14 11:25 pm - Northwest Mountains, GA

Telogen Effluvium can happen after any kind of trauma to the body, including surgery (any kind), child birth, accidents, and even extreme stress.  It's basically the hair growth cycle rebooting itself.  New hair follicles push out the old, causing the shedding.  Any protein or vitamins will benefit the new growth, but not stop it from pushing out the old stuff.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

MyLady Heidi
on 2/6/14 1:22 pm

Totally true, first time I had what I called a noticable shed was after my son was born, then it cycled through every few years thereafter.  I shed after my gallbladder surgery and my rny and both my plastics.  It makes such a mess.  But no one ever noticed, my hirdresser said thick hair is prone to shedding thats more obvious.

Mandopando
on 2/5/14 11:30 pm

Hii! Thanks for the feedback, I am having the Sleeve done. 

Most Active