Need some insight/suggestions

Sandie E.
on 2/4/14 3:17 pm - La Grande, OR
RNY on 05/14/14

Went to my seminar and consult today. Had in my head RNY was the best for me and my situation, but it seems like the surgeon was really pushing the sleeve. I have pre-diabetes, hypertension, high cholesterol, hypothyroid, gerd, and a sliding hiatal hernia that will be removed at the same time as the surgery. I have about 130 lbs to lose to be at a healthy weight according to the surgeon. If seems to me that the sleeve would end me up eventually revising to RNY and I am worried the gerd wouldn't go away, but can get worse with the sleeve. What thoughts do you all have?

Sandie E.
on 2/4/14 3:26 pm - La Grande, OR
RNY on 05/14/14

And I need to figure out how to lose 14 lbs!

poet_kelly
on 2/4/14 6:18 pm - OH

If your surgeon is pushing VSG for you when you have GERD, I would see another surgeon. 

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Lanibug
on 2/5/14 12:15 am

I actually suffered from severe GERD and my surgeon recomended the sleeve (and I had it in December '13).   It depends where your GERD is coming from.  I had a hiatal hernia which was partly causing the gerd.  the surgeon was able to stitch it up during surgery.  Between the hitatal hernia being fixed, and the pure fact that I am forced to eat less and more healthy than I used to-my GERD is cured.

Amy, Daredevil
Extraordinaire

on 2/5/14 9:36 am - Los Angeles, CA
DS on 08/06/13
On February 5, 2014 at 2:18 AM Pacific Time, poet_kelly wrote:

If your surgeon is pushing VSG for you when you have GERD, I would see another surgeon. 

I also had severe GERD before my DS. My surgeon repaired a hiatal hernia during surgery and I haven't had any problems since.

*DS with Dr. Ara Keshishian on 08/06/13* SW: 231 CW: 131 GW: 119 * Check out My YouTube Channel: AmysDSJourney *

mkvand
on 2/4/14 6:44 pm
VSG on 01/06/14 with

Increased risk of GERD is one of the side effects of the sleeve.  I'm really surprised your surgeon is recommending it to you.  Does he think the GERD is all from the hernia?

VSG 1/6/14 with Dr. Alvarez

Kate -True Brit
on 2/4/14 6:44 pm - UK

I have neither the sleeve not RNY but I thought having GERD was a major reason for not getting a sleeve. 

Highest 290, Banded - 248   Lowest 139 (too thin!). Comfort zone 155-165.

Happily banded since May 2006.  Regain of 28lbs 2013-14.  ALL GONE!

But some has returned! Up to 175, argh! Off we go again,

glady
on 2/4/14 6:57 pm

Getting another opinion from different surgeon would help. I know my surgeon pushed rny when I wanted sleeve and we I have 120lbs to loose. I found out after surgery that the rny was good choice for me because Im a snacker, I would do better at getting all my nutrients and water in, and I have succeeded in loosing weight on a similar diet before. So my surgeon had taken all these into account. A friend who had hers done by same surgeon got the sleeve because she seemed to have trouble eating regularly and would do well eating every hour like rny's have to, she was also more at risk of not getting enough nutrients so the sleeve would work better since you have less malabsorbtion. Dont just look at the amount of weight loss when deciding which surgery is best. Most important is the lifestyle change and what your body can take most advantage of. Maybe ask your surgeon his reasoning as to why the sleeve would be better specificly for you over the rny.

glady
on 2/4/14 6:59 pm

*Wouldn't to well 

12/30/13-RNY SW-277 GW-140  

Valerie G.
on 2/4/14 9:07 pm - Northwest Mountains, GA

I'm surprised, because surgeons tend to recommend RNY for patients that already have GERD because it is known to intensify with the sleeve or come up where it never existed before.  I would highly recommend a second opinion on that.  The DS is a third procedure to throw into consideration, but that also has a sleeve stomach, so like the sleeve, may not make for the most comfortable feelings either.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

Most Active