Best Insurance for Self Employed who want this surgery?

Debbie P.
on 5/9/05 8:35 am - Kettering, OH
Hi Everyone: My husband just informed me that he is going to quit his job and therefore, we lose our health insurance. I have been researching WLS for a long time now and had just gotten to the point of being ready to move forward (even have my first group meeting scheduled). Now I may be left with no insurance. I could probably continue under COBRA on his insurance, but that may be just too expensive. My question .... what is a good insurance that covers WLS (specifically DS)?? I may be able to look it up online and see what their monthly rates are for the self employed. I'm open to all suggestions. Debbie in Kettering, OH
walter A.
on 5/9/05 9:08 am - lafayette, NJ
remind your husband of his responsibilities to you, are you a vet,but thats along shot. suggest that he might need to sell his assets to pay for your cobra or health care to see you thru this.
Debbie P.
on 5/9/05 9:40 am - Kettering, OH
Walter: I have reminded him until I am blue in the face. He just doesn't care! It is all about him right now! You see, he began a new truck driving career and has been on his own now for 3 weeks. Well, he doesn't like it. He can't (won't) see the bigger picture that he could be local if he just "pays his dues". Nope. He is "depressed" (which I'm sure he is) and therefore, he thinks he can just quit his job. He knows how I feel about this and he isn't in the house (I won't support a man if he isn't working -- I have supported him financially (and our daughter who is 14 months) since day 1 because of his huge bills from his prior marriage, but no more!!!). His grandmother coddles and babys him and that is where he is now. Well, I wonder how she will feel when his bills come due and he asks HER to pay them. I don't mean to sound heartless, but I have done nothing but support this man and cheer him on. I have given up soooo much for him, bailed him out on sooooo many occasions and then when I tell him I want to have this surgery .... he suddenly is going to quit his job. As of right now, he took a leave of absence (he can do that for 30 days). It will leave me and my daughter without medical coverage. Does he give a shoot, nope. This is so devastating to me that he is doing this to us .... but it hurts all the more because I was sooooo wanting to finally go through with this surgery. I feel all hope is lost for me living a healthy life again. Debbie -
Sharon Neva
on 5/9/05 10:16 am - SD
Debbie, You might check into what the cost would be for COBRA just for you. My DH got laid off and we are not able to pay for insurance for both of us. But, you should be allowed to pay for coverage for yourself and get your WLS.... if you cannot find another insurance that you can afford it would be an option Sharon
Most Active