Discovering your new body

glady
on 2/24/14 11:23 pm

Hey all. I am nearly three months post op(RNY). Have last 30lbs and I can feel my hip bones and ribs for the first time. I have lost a relatively small amount so there is still a thick layer of fat but at least I can feel the hard parts of the hip and ridges of my ribs. I have been overweight all my life. I went from having baby fat straight to fat so I don't know what its like to see my clavical, or wear my underwear on my hips, or wear bracelets or anklets, or even not having a squishy top layer of fat on almost every part of my body.

I'm really really really curious to know what it's like to have a "skinny" body (pardon me, I dont like the word skinny). I ask my normal weight friends and they can't really respond because they don't know what its like to be obese. Were there any surprises you were not expecting? I know my cousin lost weight(she wasn't obese just a little chubby) and she hated feeling her but bones lol. I didn't even know there were but bones to be felt. I have a normal sized boy toy (don't ask hee hee) and he has a lovely lean muscular body and I can feel his muscles and I cant wait to feel my own muscles. I would like to know everything from your expiriences, every detail!

12/30/13-RNY SW-277 GW-140  

(deactivated member)
on 2/24/14 11:53 pm

I am four months out and I find bumps on me such as my shoulder blades.My shoulder bones.And my ribs. It is really weird how our bodies change.I can't stay in bed long anymore.My hips hurt me so it works out well since I should be up any ways.I do feel some of my muscles in my legs coming back and I can lift a lot more weight than I could before.So it has been a great change.

71dart
on 2/25/14 2:41 am
VSG on 08/06/12 with

I'm a guy, but I absolutely do not recognize my body.  Everything feels foreign.  Everything I do is different.  I can sit in a tub now, but my butt hurts. I have veins sticking out of my hands and arms now-must be someone else's arms.  What's this thing? Looked it up, its called "xiphoid process."  Collar bones-that's new and they're ticklish. Metatarsals, metacarpals, ... RIBS.  WTF?  Don't even ask about my penis. 

All I can say is: "Identity Crisis."

Heather D.
on 2/25/14 2:56 am

3 months out. Obsessed over my clavicles and shoulder bones. I have them. They look nice. My neck is getting thinner and my necklaces hang differently. I can see the bones of my feet. 

Biggest gain so far- the bones of my knees hurt much, much less! 

SandieMc49
on 2/25/14 3:48 am

Okay - so this one day, right - I was in my kitchen - and for some reason I leaned my right elbow on the counter.  I put my left hand on my arm to steady myself and I suddenly felt this big, tumor-like growth on my arm and immediately started to panic!  Of course, I knew that I would be contacting my PCP the very next morning to make an urgent appointment.  Seconds later it occurred to me that I should check my left arm for the very same thing and lo and behold - there was a "tumor" there as well (only a little smaller on that side)! 

Well, as you can imagine, I had the biggest laugh at myself when a few minutes later I realized it was not a tumor, but rather a bicep muscle!!  OMG, I seriously thought I had a tumor - what a dufuss I was.  It made sense.  I lost weight, I had been going to the gym faithfully, and exercising with weights. 

Oh heck yeah - I worked for those tumors!  So keep an eye on yours - and get ready to be amazed!

Sandie

MAchick
on 2/25/14 3:55 am
VSG on 01/27/14

Yesterday I was scratching my back and felt a weird bump. I thought I had whacked myself on something. Turns out, it was my spine. I have a spine?!

I have been wiggling my toes nonstop because I can see the bones in my feet and like to watch them dance.

AnneGG
on 2/25/14 8:08 am

I sag and I bag, but I look great in clothes (thanks to Spanx) and am always being called tiny, which is a hoot! Many people in my life at this point have never known me the way I used to be, so that's a fun secret for me. Oh, and I like my collar bones a lot, and admire my cheek bones. I like wearing regular tall boots- I lost ½ a shoe size plus my fat calves because of all the walking I do. My rings had to get sized way smaller. I like being able to run upstairs or speed walk for miles without breathing hard. I don't mind being in photographs anymore. I laugh a lot more.

Now, if only I could get rid of the turkey wattle under my chin, but I'm too cheap to spring for plastics...

"What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the master calls the butterfly." Richard Bach

"Support fosters your growth. If you are getting enough of the right support, you will experience a major transformation in yourself. You will discover a sense of empowerment and peace you have never before experienced. You will come to believe you can overcome your challenges and find some joy in this world." Katie Jay

Most Active