Not losing weight

StateGal
on 2/25/14 10:35 pm

I'm looking for others who have had RNY surgery and struggled with weight loss. I had surgery Jan. 15 - so about 6 weeks ago. I'm on the soft food portion of my diet. Since changing to that I've only lost 3 pounds in the last 2 weeks. I think I should be losing more. I have been exercising and taking in my protein (at least I think I am). Anyone struggle at this point too?

MyLady Heidi
on 2/25/14 11:17 pm

Lose the scale, keep doing what you are doing and you will magically lose weight.  Your body cannot possibly lose weight every single day so here or there you stall but without a scale you won't be annoyed by the number.  I weighed at my doctors office only in the beginning and then on my bf's scale later when we didn't live together.  I use the scale as a reward, when my clothes get loose I hop on for a Yeah me moment, the rest of the time I avoid it like the plague.  It has worked for nine years and has never shown me a higher number then the one I saw before.

Tedder1
on 2/26/14 5:36 am - Roaming Shores, MS

Yes, I went thru that too. I was losing inches instead of pounds. Remember that muscle weights more than fat !!!

QoftheU
on 2/26/14 12:37 pm - Bay Area/Silicon Valley, CA
Revision on 12/18/13

Actually muscle does not weigh more than fat.  A pound is a pound.  Whether it's feathers or lead or dirt or whatever.  Just FYI.

Leslie - Band Revision to RNY - best thing ever!   HW: 234   SW: 222  CW: Ticker  GW: 130

Tedder1
on 2/27/14 9:37 am - Roaming Shores, MS

Sorry, I was just stating what my surgeon says.  

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 2/27/14 2:05 am
RNY on 08/05/19

It's very common for weight loss to slow down or stop for a bit at some point between 3-6 weeks after surgery. Your body is just getting used to everything!

The usual advice is to make sure you're getting your protein, drink lots of water, and make sure you're moving as much as you can. Have patience, take measurements (you're probably still shrinking!), and hang in there!

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

Most Active