Help - what to feed other family members

Judi47
on 2/26/14 3:00 pm, edited 2/26/14 3:29 am - Boston, MA

Hi there, I am visiting my surgeon for the first time next Friday and have so many questions of course.  I am doing a ton of research and this forum is great.  I have a question though.  What happens when your done with your surgery, you come home and have to feed your husband and son?  I know for a few days I wont feel like eating but they will.  Of course Im worrying about them.

Kate -True Brit
on 2/26/14 4:49 pm - UK

Don't know which surgery you are having but most go through the same stages.

Liquid stage, you are obviously on your own but after that I just ate the same as my family. Early on I blended mine while they ate the unblended versions, or I made thick, high protein soups which they had to start their meals whereas it was my whole meal. You could make lots of that now and freeze it. 

Soft foods- we all ate the same. Shepherds pie, cauliflower cheese, white fish, jacket potato with beans or tuna.

Normal foods - just that! Normal! Anything. 

Highest 290, Banded - 248   Lowest 139 (too thin!). Comfort zone 155-165.

Happily banded since May 2006.  Regain of 28lbs 2013-14.  ALL GONE!

But some has returned! Up to 175, argh! Off we go again,

ChristineB
on 2/26/14 7:29 pm - Western 'Burbs Chgo, IL

You might want to have frozen premade meals done for them for when you come home. You might not feel up to cooking. Like the other poster mentioned it will all depend on what surgery you will have and what the doctor's protocal is PO. You might only be on liquids at first and then progress to other textures of food allowing your new tummy to heal. When you are up to it make the family what they usually would eat with you following your meal plan. When you are cleared to eat anything you can tolerate then you can start having small portions starting with your protein first, veggies or fruit and then limit carbs or eliminate them as per your PO diet plan.

Open RNY May 7
260/155/140 

(deactivated member)
on 2/26/14 9:03 pm

I totally agree with this post from Christine B.It is hard to figure out what to make for everyone when you are not sure if you will be feeling well.I think buying pre-made food is a good idea. They need to help you with the meals.Especially if you are not feeling well.I felt pretty good afterwards.But I didn't feel like cooking.I think my mentality was if I can eat it I am not cooking it.If you have a Trader Joes near you they have a ton of pre-made meals that are pretty good.

When I was in the  regular foods I fed my family the same thing I am eating.I do keep a cabinet that does have all of my snacks such as protein bars and stuff they do not like.I like to have my to go to cabinet so I know what I can have and can't.Best wishes.

poet_kelly
on 2/26/14 7:33 pm - OH

For the first few days after surgery, I'd let your husband feed himself and your son.  But after that, I'd prepare healthy meals for the whole family.  What I did when I lived with my ex and my nephew was prepare a healthy main dish, like chili, and then prepare a starch, like some bread or rolls, and I would just eat the chili and they would eat the starch, too.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Day_dream_believer
on 2/26/14 9:26 pm

I Agee with freezer meals.  I made a month of freezer meals ahead of time.  That got me through liquids pre op and first few weeks.  After that I are the same thing with a few modifications.

Gwen M.
on 2/27/14 4:03 am
VSG on 03/13/14

I'm refusing to cook for my family for the two weeks prior to surgery (liquid pre-op diet) and the two weeks after surgery (full liquids).  I did a bunch of large batch cooking in the last many weeks to stock up food in the freezer, but beyond that they're going to have to fend for themselves.  One of my partners can cook some basic stuff and I'll be there to give him some verbal help if he needs it.  My other partner is capable of making sandwiches.  They're both capable of going to the grocery store and buying stuff that's easy to assemble.  

Your husband should probably be able to manage to keep himself and your son fed for the first two weeks of your recovery.  :)

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

Scribbler
on 2/27/14 7:03 am

I made a bunch of freezer meals, took out some money and left it in a jar on the counter, and left him to fend for himself until I felt up to cooking again.

I've just reached the stage where I feel like I can cook, and I am. For most things I make, I don't feel up to eating the food yet. Sometimes I'll nibble on a bite of meat or cheese, but, I'm not really eating the meals. I feel more comfortable with my soups, cottage cheese, protein supplements, and tuna fish. I plan to stick with my current plan for another 3 weeks or so, then switch over to "normal food".

Judi47
on 2/27/14 7:17 am - Boston, MA

Thank you for your ideas for meals.  I know its going to be a tough journey but the outcome will hopefully be worth it.

KellyH67
on 2/27/14 11:40 am - Richmond, VA
VSG on 02/19/14

My 2 week pre-op diet included a regular dinner, so we just ate our regular food and I ate smaller portions.  After surgery, it took about 4 or 5 days before I felt up to cooking again.  My kids generally make their own food (they're 14 and 16), but I'd been having my husband's dinner ready when he got home @ 7.  It doesn't bother me at all.  Tonight I made him steak and alfredo noodles and I just had the broth from some chicken and rice soup.  I ate it at the same time as him.  I don't feel hungry, so I don't mind making him dinner.  It is what it is.  However, if I didn't feel up to cooking, he'd be doing it himself.  Do what feels right for you.  Probably having a week or two worth of planned dinners (either frozen, order in or easy things like spaghetti you can throw together in 10 minutes) would help you relax until you feel you can do more.

"I am careful not to confuse excellence with perfection.  Excellence I can reach for.  Perfection I leave up to God."  Michael J. Fox

Most Active