low iron

julesiglow
on 3/9/14 10:36 pm - Vidalia, GA

Hi  Everyone   I have low iron now.  I had high iron for the last few years so I have been giving blood. I gave blood in February the first week. I had my blood work done and now my ferrition(5) is 5....and my D3 is low.... How did you get yours up....I have not needed to take iron...and yes I do take calcium and a multivitamin  for bariatric patients.  I had surgery in 2010 April so I am almost four years out.  I have lost 310lbs......and doing pretty good no complications...Thanks for you advise

Jules

Finding the Light one day at a Time

Grim_Traveller
on 3/9/14 11:09 pm
RNY on 08/21/12

According to the ASMBS, you should have been taking iron all along. When was the last time you had your ferritin checked, and what was it? Deficiencies don't show up right away, most often they develop over time, and you need to watch the trend over time.

A 5 for ferritin is dangerously low. Low enough that you should not even consider increasing it with supplements. It is so low that you should see a hematologist right away for an iron infusion. Seriously.

When the red cross tests for blood donations, they test what is currently available, or as some say, what you have to spend right now. Ferritin is a measure of stored iron, or what you have saved for the future. You are almost bankrupt. See a doctor now, and start taking supplemenral iron for long term health. And do not donate blood again until a doctor says it is ok.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

poet_kelly
on 3/9/14 11:43 pm - OH

Clearly you do need to take iron.  The ASMBS recommends all RNY patients take iron from the beginning.  With ferritin that low, you probably need iron infusions.  I would see a hematologist ASAP. But I would also begin taking iron orally.

How low is your vitamin D?  Most RNY folks need at least 10,000 IU D3 daily and many need more than that.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

julesiglow
on 3/10/14 10:46 am - Vidalia, GA

Hey   Thank you for the advice   I had just had high ferritin till this last time I had my blood checked and then my level was normal.   I called my doctor to get more details and information

Finding the Light one day at a Time

Most Active