Feeling upset

MsShawna
on 3/19/14 6:01 am - OH
Revision on 05/01/17

Hi everyone I am upset I got a call today and was told that the psychologist is not confident that I would stay on a diet regiment. Now she has never met me before she talk to me for thirty minutes. And she based that on what. She knows I have been on several diets and have lost weight but gained it back. So how could she say that. I am so hot right now that I was willing to just give up.

MsBatt
on 3/19/14 6:15 am

"She knows I have been on several diets and have lost weight but gained it back."

WHY did you gain it back? If you're like most of us, it was because you couldn't/didn't STAY on the diet. Pre-op, we have the option of going off our diet, even though this means we almost always regain. After WLS, the same thing happens if we go off the diet---we gain the weight back. And after WLS, going 'off the diet' is even more serious, because our post-op 'diet' includes things like vitamins and supplements of things we simply can't get from food any longer.

If this is enough to make you feel like giving up, maybe she's right that you're just not ready. Post-op life can be tough, and you've got to be tough, too, and willing to tackle head-on whatever happens. A little thing like this should not make you feel like giving up.

Mary Gee
on 3/19/14 6:25 am - AZ
VSG on 05/14/14

I can understand you're upset -- but upset enough to "just give up"???  

I think we've all been on several diets, lost weight, and regained it.  That's why we want/need the surgery.  But to succeed, you have to be committed.  Did she suggest additional appointments?  If not, I'd call and set-up a follow-up and get some feedback from her.  I wouldn't let her knock me off track.

HW: 380 SW: 324 GW: 175  

MsShawna
on 3/19/14 6:48 am - OH
Revision on 05/01/17

Hi Mary Gee thank you for your input. I think at the moment my emotions took over. I have talk to my husband and we are not giving up. I just had a moment of weakness but I am back on track thank you again.

rocky513
on 3/19/14 7:02 am - WI

Psychologists are trained to see things in people... that's why you go through the psych evaluation.  Maybe she saw something in you that would cause you to not be successful.  This surgery is a BIG COMMITMENT.  It requires you to be compliant or face some pretty dire consequences.  I know you are disappointed... but wouldn't you rather get your mindset right before you enter into a serious surgery?  She really does have your best interest at heart.  She's just doing her job.

I have seen countless posts where the poster thought that surgery was the "magic answer' to all their weight loss dreams and have gained a substantial amount of weight back. It's not magic.  The surgery is on your stomach... not your brain.  You have to be willing to commit to the program and follow the rules..... forever.  

The fact that you are "willing to just give up" after one set back tells me that you are an "all or nothing" kind of person.  That won't work with WLS.  You can't say, "Well... I screwed up my eating today...so I might as well give up the healthy eating and eat donuts".  You HAVE TO change that kind of attitude and your eating habits... or you WILL fail.  

I'm with Mary.  Call the psychologist and ask her a few questions about her findings.  Then take a long, hard look at yourself and be honest about what you see.  Ask yourself if you are ready to make a LIFE LONG commitment to living by the rules of WLS.  This isn't a quick fix... it's a way of life.... and should be a last resort to weight loss.

HW 270 SW 236 GW 160 CW 145 (15 pounds below goal!)

VBG Aug. 7, 1986, Revised to RNY Nov. 18, 2010

MsShawna
on 3/19/14 9:47 am - OH
Revision on 05/01/17

Hello rocky513 thank you for your input. And I do understand that is the psychologist job but I never gave her a reason to doubt my abilities. And trust me I know this is NOT A easy fix to lose weight it takes a lot more than that. Me having multiple family members who have had this surgery. I know what it takes and is and have been willing to be in this battle for the  long run. It just upset me that she concluded those assumptions in 30 minutes. But like I stated I was having a moment of weakness and I am back on track and focused. Thank you again!

Most Active