What's the deal with straws?

amyrenee
on 3/23/14 3:46 am

Hi Everyone,

I am a VSG patient, 9 months out.  I struggle getting all of my water in- it has been one of the hardest parts of this journey for me.  I swear if I could use a straw I would be getting way more water in with so much more ease.  I was a straw user prior to surgery but during the education piece of this journey (pre op) I was told to never use a straw after I have the surgery.  I can't remember why- I could look back through my stuff but thought I would ask here.   Anyone using straws again, without any issues?  I swear a straw would assist me with water intake!

amyrenee    

poet_kelly
on 3/23/14 4:35 am - OH

Some people find they suck in too much air with a straw and it gives them painful gas.  If it does that to you, then don't use one.  Otherwise, there is no reason not to use one.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

(deactivated member)
on 3/23/14 7:45 am

I will admit I use straws all the time.I would not get the water in if I didn't.I had water bottles that I felt I got more air when I drank out of them.I love straws.

dragonlove
on 3/23/14 10:27 am
RNY on 11/20/13

Use the magnifying symbol at the top of the page and search for "straw".  Hopefully it will find a good discussion we had earlier this month where we told our experiences with straws.

Congrats on the surgery!!!

Pam (RNY: 11/20/2013)

RidingFan
on 3/23/14 10:35 am - Ajax, Canada
RNY on 04/29/13

I am RNY and 11 months out and like my water much better while sipping with a straw. I feel I get more in with small easy sips and less air than gurgling out of a bottle. Quenches my thirst better too. Whatever works for you I think. Good luck!

Referred HRRH Apr.  2012, Info. Session: Sept 12/12, Surgeon Consult: Dr L Smith Sept 19/12,  RD/SW/RN/ Nov 19/12.  Surgery Date:  April 29, 2013

Most Active