Feeling Down

JLB75
on 3/26/14 12:50 am

I will be 4 years post op this coming August.  I was happy go lucky and very happy with myself and lately I am completely disappointed in myself and have gained 50lbs.  Its not b/c I am a big eater, or even eat alot for that matter.  I lack the time for the gym and really have not been very faithful with my protein.  I know that probably plays a big role in getting the weight off but with two heavily involved children, a full time job and being on a school board I am truely lucky if I have time to go to the bathroom.  I need some advice on how to jump start the weightloss again, positive reinforcement and maybe even encouragement.  I DO NOT WANT TO KEEP GOING BACKWARDS!!!!

JennyB    
SandieMc49
on 3/26/14 1:18 am
On March 26, 2014 at 7:50 AM Pacific Time, JLB75 wrote:

I will be 4 years post op this coming August.  I was happy go lucky and very happy with myself and lately I am completely disappointed in myself and have gained 50lbs.  Its not b/c I am a big eater, or even eat alot for that matter.  I lack the time for the gym and really have not been very faithful with my protein.  I know that probably plays a big role in getting the weight off but with two heavily involved children, a full time job and being on a school board I am truely lucky if I have time to go to the bathroom.  I need some advice on how to jump start the weightloss again, positive reinforcement and maybe even encouragement.  I DO NOT WANT TO KEEP GOING BACKWARDS!!!!

Start with one, small, "doable" change.  Today, not tomorrow - today!  Secondly, have a discussion with your family and see if tasks can be reassigned so that you can get some exercise in.  But again, start small and doable.  It's so easy to get overwhelmed.

Avoid "food on the go" - do a little planning.  Make sure you have breakfast too!  If you can get some protein in for breakfast - that's a great start.  Ca'mon there - you deserve it!  One small step today, okay?

JLB75
on 3/26/14 1:20 am

Thanks for the words of encouragement Sandie and your right even just starting small is better than not starting at all.  I live in NH and am ANXIOUSLY awaiting warm air so I can get out and walk during my lunch break. :)

JennyB    
SandieMc49
on 3/26/14 1:52 am
On March 26, 2014 at 8:20 AM Pacific Time, JLB75 wrote:

Thanks for the words of encouragement Sandie and your right even just starting small is better than not starting at all.  I live in NH and am ANXIOUSLY awaiting warm air so I can get out and walk during my lunch break. :)

We're practically neighbors - I'm on the MA/NH border and this has just been such a challenge to get motivated.  Admittedly I have poo-pooed more than one gym class this winter and opted to stay inside snuggly warm.  Also, we have to balance being too hard on ourselves, with what seems reasonable to expect from our lives and schedules.

Even though today's not the best day - I'm really going to try to get to my gym class tonite.  I love my aerobics classes and zumba at my gym.  It's more of a reward for me than something I feel like I have to do.  I also work full time and do theatre and am currently rehearsing for a production that goes up in May.  Challenge not to let "life" interfere with taking care of ourselves isn't I!

Glad we can support and encourage others on here.

Sandie

MyLady Heidi
on 3/26/14 2:35 am

Forget the gym and get those kids outside and exercise, building your bond with them and teaching them that exercise is fun and healthy.  I wish I had my life to live over and been able to play soccer with my son when he was a kid.  It sucks I was the fat mom on the sidelines of life.  I could play catch and chauffeur him around.  Nothing physical.  Take them hiking or biking or rock climbing or walking, running, jogging, anything outside and fun, and if you live in NH what about skiing or snowboarding or snowshoeing through the woods.  There are a million things you can do that are fun and good for you and your kids, but you have to want too and you have to make time.  Everyone has time, I don't care how many commitments you have, you have time to exercise with your kids and if you don't re-prioritize your life and theirs.  It will be worth it in the end.

Eggface
on 3/26/14 4:26 am, edited 3/26/14 4:26 am - Sunny Southern, CA

Hey Jenny,

We'll be on this road forever so you hit a bump, no worries... make a plan and move forward. No looking backwards.

I'd make an appointment with your Dr. and make sure all is well, get your labs done, tell them you hit a bump and want to get back on the road. You want to rule out any underlying medical condition.

Start charting your food/drink, exercise on a free app My Fitness Pal, Fitday, one of those and bring that data with to the Dr. Eating protein packed meals will help (keeps you fuller longer, fuels the fat burning furnace, helps you not snack as much.) Drink water (natural appetite suppressant)

If you have a local support group with your bariatric clinic go to that. If they don't find another one maybe they will let you go to that. Keep your head in the game by chatting with others, motivation, inspiration on a regular basis.

If you think you might benefit from one on one counseling I highly recommend that too. 

On the exercise... do what you can when you can... park far away from the stores, take the stairs, dance to 4 or 5 songs while you wait for dinner to cook, walk around the building, 10 minute spurts 3 times a day is 30 minutes of exercise :) then plan on your days off fun active things.

You got this! Best to you,

Michelle "Shelly"

Weight Loss Surgery Friendly Recipes & Rambling
www.theworldaccordingtoeggface.com

Nikke2003
on 3/27/14 10:33 pm - PA
VSG on 05/13/13

Hey Jenny - sorry to hear that you are going through a regain. I think you've gotten some great advice from others here, but I would encourage you to begin weighing/measuring your food and tracking every little thing you eat and drink religiously. I know you say you don't have time to workout, but losing weight really is 80-90% about the food you are eating and not a lack of exercise.

Often times when people aren't losing or have been gaining weight it's because they're eating more than they think. You don't gain 50 lbs from not overeating - whether it feels like they are eating a lot or not - UNLESS there is something physically wrong - in which I again agree with Shelly's (Eggface) advice to get your labs look at ASAP.

Weighing, measuring, and tracking will give you an honest look at your intake and then  you can make necessary adjustments from there!

For more info on my journey & goals, visit my blog at http://flirtybythirty.wordpress.com

Cunning_Pam
on 3/28/14 12:00 am
RNY on 12/18/13

You've gotten a lot of good advice here, but I have to second Shelly and Nikke's words the most. Tracking your intake is crucial. We can delude ourselves into thinking we're not eating that much, but if you honestly weigh and measure and write everything down, at the end of the day it can be very surprising how much we're taking in. My Fitness Pal is super easy to use, and the phone app makes tracking what you eat a breeze. Just remember to be both honest AND gentle with yourself. Track your food, and don't beat yourself up over it if you find that you're taking in too much. Just adjust, and move forward from there.

Don't look backwards, just forward. You can do it!

Surgery: RNY on 12/18/2013 with Jay M. Snow, MD            "Don't mistake my kindness for weakness." - Robert Herjavec, quoting Al Capone

Most Active