Hey! New pre-op lady here! :)

TiffanyLeann
on 3/27/14 11:57 am

I was referred to this site by a friend that has told me SOOO many good things about this site and how it's helped her stay motivated. She recommended that I make an account and introduce myself!

My name is Tiffany and I'm 24 years old! I'm from North Texas. I'm an LVN on her way to become an RN. I currently weigh 260 pounds on a little 4'11 frame. I have only gone as far as to schedule my consultation with the surgeon and his team so I'm just barely starting this journey!

I have only told maybe three people in my life because no one believes that this is safe or a good decision. I have always struggled with my weight. The only time I would lose anything is when I would use dangerous pills to get me there. I was raised to believe that weight loss surgery was the "easy way out" so I have some guilt about coming to this decision. I was hoping I would find some encouragement and motivation to help me realize what I already feel. I've decided that this will be the TOOL I've needed to succeed and that if anyone has a problem with it, they don't have to be a part of my life. I've wasted so many opportunities and feelings on my weight and I refuse to let it run my life anymore.

Although I'm super confident in this decision, I'm also suuuuuuuper scared! I'm afraid my body will react horrifically or that I'll choose the wrong type of surgery. I'm really afraid how my dad will react even though I shouldn't let his opinion stop me... ya' know how that goes!

I'm happy that my friend has shown me a site that can help me in this journey that I may be going in alone. I know my profile isn't really set up yet, but I'll try to get that done soon. Please don't be afraid to message me. Let's become friends?! :)

Nikki_Lynn
on 3/27/14 1:02 pm - OH

Congrats on your decision! Let me just say that my surgery was the best decision of my life!! No regrets!!! 

sperez2j
on 3/27/14 1:57 pm - Austin, TX

Hi there,

Congrats on your decision. I know the feeling of people thinking its the wrong choice. The thing is it is not their choice.  Be strong !

-Sarah

glady
on 3/27/14 11:35 pm

You dont want to waste anymore of your life trying to live to others expectations. I am 25 and I started my process at 24. I had gastric bypass 3 months ago and its been great. It wasn't fun or comfortable the first months but it really wasn't nearly as bad as you think. My surgeon chose the RNY for me. She does the sleeve and band but she thought RNY was best. As for family. My immediate family and coworkers have been super supportive. I think once they see how much work goes into making the surgery work they might change their minds. If anything, they will see how much happier you are and will come to accept your choices as the right one. BTW how is rearranging your internal organs the easy way. You still have to eat like u would on a conventional diet and you still have exercise like anyone else. Why is it ok for people to go on ridiculous fad diets but this surgery has such a stigma. By the time you reach you're goal weight hopefully you will eating healthy by anyones standards and will be more active then most of America. Its not as dramatic as I put it. Im prettt lazy couch potato but I eat so much healthier then my skinny friends and I walk 45 mins four times a week wich is a hell of alot more then alot of people. 

12/30/13-RNY SW-277 GW-140  

Cunning_Pam
on 3/27/14 11:48 pm
RNY on 12/18/13

Welcome! I feel for you, having a lack of support locally. I think it's great that your friend referred you here. OH can be a great resource; there is a TON of information here and lots of support when you need it.

My advice to you is to read, read, and read some more. Look at the specific surgery forums, the revision forum, and the failed surgeries forum. It's important that you be aware of all the possibilities, but it's just as important that you remember that most people come through their surgeries with flying colors. Complications can happen, but they're not typical. As far as choosing the "wrong type" of surgery, there isn't really a wrong one (except for the band, just too many problems with that one) rather it's which surgery best suits you, your lifestyle, and your current physical condition. If you understand that the surgery is just a tool, and that the real 'secret' to WLS is that it just allows you to make the lifestyle changes you need to make to lose weight and get healthy, then you'll do great no matter which surgery you have.

Congratulations on taking charge of your health, and welcome once again!

Surgery: RNY on 12/18/2013 with Jay M. Snow, MD            "Don't mistake my kindness for weakness." - Robert Herjavec, quoting Al Capone

T Hagalicious Rebel
Brown

on 3/28/14 12:11 am - Brooklyn
VSG on 04/25/14 with

Congrats and good luck on your weight loss journey, wls is not easy, whoever told you that probably doesn't know anything about what is involved. Definitely do your research and choose the surgery that is best for you, remember you're getting a tool, you still have to do the work, any wls can be worked around to where you don't lose or keep off the weight, but if you use your tool properly it'll help you lose weight and keep it off. I'm a newbie and a preop too, my surgery date is 4/25 and while I'm a little nervous about surgery (VSG), I'm not scared cuz doing nothing or to keep doing what I did b4 and failing is way more scarier! Good luck!

Vivian Prouty
on 3/28/14 12:39 am - Fort Worth, TX

Hi TiffanyLeann,

You have come to the right place for support.   I am a support group leader and my group meets the first sunday of the month in Keller.   Not sure where in N. Texas you are at but if you are anywhere close we'd love to have you join us in our support group.    What surgeon are you thinking about using?   Let me tell you....MINE Dr. David D. Kim is the best around IMHO.    He genuinely cares about ALL his patients and he has a monthly support group for all his patients ( not may doctors do that ).   We also have a support breakfast every month...and it is tomorrow as a matter of fact at a restruant in Haltom City.    I live in N. Richland Hills.   I had RNY gastric bypass over 8 yrs. ago and lost 140 lbs.   My highest weight was 273 and I am 5'1".    Dr. Kim does ALL the WLS types and he will help you choose which is best for you.    I wish I had known about WLS at your age.    I had mine at 52.    Anyway if you have any questions I will be happy to answer them if I can.   Good luck and congrats on your decision to have WLS....oh and there is NOTHING easy about it.    Nothing at all.....we have to work hard to lose the weight but this "tool" that we are blessed with helps us to get the weight off once it is on.    Good luck to you on your upcoming weight loss journey.

Hugs and blessings ~~~ Vivian

GOD GRANT ME THE SERENITY TO ACCEPT THE THINGS I CAN NOT CHANGE;   COURAGE TO CHANGE THE THINGS THAT I CAN;  AND THE WISDOM TO KNOW THE DIFFERENCE !!!!    THIS IS MY DAILY PRAYER.
Vivian Prouty      Obesity Help Support Group Coach  "LOSE IT 4 LIFE"

Kate -True Brit
on 3/28/14 12:39 am - UK

Welcome.  Don't feel guilt! Everyone on here has tried to control their weight and failed. Surgery isn't simply an easy way out,  for most of us it is the ONLY way out ( and it's actually not easy!)

Read anecdotal experiences, they have lots of value. But slso read as many scientific reports as you can. But, mainly, listen to your doctor. S/he is the one you trust to operate on you and is the one with the medical training. 

Check out the specific surgery boards from the forums drop down menu above. 

Highest 290, Banded - 248   Lowest 139 (too thin!). Comfort zone 155-165.

Happily banded since May 2006.  Regain of 28lbs 2013-14.  ALL GONE!

But some has returned! Up to 175, argh! Off we go again,

TiffanyLeann
on 3/28/14 4:15 am

Thank you for all the messages! I'm feeling more confident in my decision knowing that I'll always have support when I need it. I think this will just have to be the time in my life where I do what I feel is right and not adjust it according to other people's opinions. It's nice to meet all of you and I hope to bring in some good news on the 10th! :)

mmnishik
on 3/28/14 5:34 am

my first appointment is on the 8th, we are starting this journey at the same time. :-) I feel a lot like you do, nervous and guilty.  I feel like this is the last resort, and it should be.  I am also in my 20's 25 exactly.  So we are setting ourselves up for a new life in our 20's so we can have a better healthier 30, 40 and eventually we will actually see our 80 and 90 because we are healthy!  In my current body, I doubt I'd see 60 or 70's.

We can do this!

Single mom to 2 girls! Love them <3

Most Active