Hunger and Weight Gain

yolita1023s
on 3/31/14 3:48 pm - Miami, FL

Hi everyone! I haven't been back here in a while. Im wondering how many of you celebrating 10th year anniversary post op are gaining weight and are feeling just as hungry as you did pre op? 

I had roux en y GB with a band, or maybe it was a VGB Im goung to go search my records. Nurse says my band may have eroded! 

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 3/31/14 11:27 pm - OH

Those are two pretty different surgeries.  (Even after 10 years you should remember whether your surgery included intestinal by pass or not.)

I am not quite 7 years out from RNY, but have a friend who had the VGB about 9 years ago and she recently had surgery to remove the band because of band "breakdown" (which, I assume, is the same as erosion), and she had been complaining of not feeling any restriction for about a year prior to that. 

She lost about half of the weight she had hoped for and then regained much of it back.  She is hoping to have RNY down the road (but the surgeon could not do it when he removed the band).

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

Cathy W.
on 4/1/14 12:42 am

I had RNY in 2001.  I feel hungry maybe slightly less than I did pre-op. I can't eat as much though as I did pre-op.  When I eat lean proteins, I cannot eat nearly what I did pre-op.  Thankfully, I still have dumping syndrome which is a great thing since my surgeon didn't remove my sweet tooth lol. 

The biggest thing that I have learned is to distinguish physical hunger from head hunger.  I still have head hunger but I'm better at being aware of true physical hunger versus head hunger/emotional eating.

I've had a couple of regain periods.  I've lost the weight the first time and working on some recent regain.  Losing regain weight is much more difficult than it was right after surgery.  Losing regain weight is more like it was before surgery BUT it can be done.  For me, it is an average of 1-2 pounds per week.

Kate -True Brit
on 4/1/14 1:57 am - UK

As Lora said! I think it is more likely to be VGB because I think ( think!) putting lapbands over bypass is relatively new.

But regain is only too easy with any surgery. We get complacent and let things slide! But after bypass, there is the added issue that malabsorption decreases and so it gets harder to keep the weight off. 

Highest 290, Banded - 248   Lowest 139 (too thin!). Comfort zone 155-165.

Happily banded since May 2006.  Regain of 28lbs 2013-14.  ALL GONE!

But some has returned! Up to 175, argh! Off we go again,

Kate -True Brit
on 4/1/14 10:37 pm, edited 4/2/14 2:24 am - UK

The post I was responding to has been deleted! 

How wonderful  what a shame we all bothered with surgery.  Having looked at your profile, I see this is an ad..

Highest 290, Banded - 248   Lowest 139 (too thin!). Comfort zone 155-165.

Happily banded since May 2006.  Regain of 28lbs 2013-14.  ALL GONE!

But some has returned! Up to 175, argh! Off we go again,

Most Active