Distal Bypass Surgery

Hellwee
on 4/16/14 8:48 am

Hello, Hellwee here:

Has anyone had a Distal Bypass Surgery?  If so can you explain your journey from surgery to date. I would so appreciate some help!!!! Thank you in advance!!!

Valerie G.
on 4/17/14 10:18 am - Northwest Mountains, GA

Before considering distal bypass, look at the duodenal switch.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

Hellwee
on 4/18/14 9:43 am

Hi Valerie: Thank you so much for your response to my post. Please know that DS surgery was my objective until my surgeon told me because of my serious health issues the DS surgery would be a higher than normal risk. However, he suggested the Distal surgery, explained the entire surgery to me and my husband, and we both agree the surgeon is suggesting the best option for me. Would you mind explaining why you suggested the Duodenal Switch versus the Distal Bypass.

Thank you so much for your time and interest. Have a nice day!!

southernlady5464
on 4/20/14 2:24 am

Which health issues?

Basically the Distal bypass has the bad parts of the RNY and the bad parts of the DS mixed together.

Duodenal Switch (Lap) 01-24-11 | Surgeon: Stephen Boyce | High weight: 250 in 2002 | Surgery weight: 203 | Lowest weight: 121 | Current weight: 135 | Goal weight: 135

MsBatt
on 4/20/14 8:07 am

Who is your surgeon?

In the hands of an experienced surgeon, the DS has no greater risk than the RNY. The distal RNY has a higher risk of long-term malnutrition than does the DS. It also has all the potential risks associated with having a pouch and stoma rather than a fully-functional stomach.

What are your health issues? The DS also has much better 'cure rates' for most co-morbs, especially Type II diabetes and high cholesterol.

I suggest you get a second opinion, from a well-established DS surgeon.

Valerie G.
on 4/20/14 9:01 am - Northwest Mountains, GA

The distal bypass has the challenges of the RNY pouch with added malabsorption, which can be a nightmare to some to manage as part of their life.  The DS has the metabolic change, but with a fully functioning somach with all working parts intact (albeit 75% smaller).  Some docs who don't have experience with the DS try to sell the distal RNY as being 'the same thing' and believe me, it is not.  

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

Cindy Cooney
on 4/20/14 2:19 am - NJ
DS on 06/30/14

Dr. Greenbaum offered me that as well, but you can have more BM's and with my teaching schedule - there is only one option - DS.  There is a far better weight loss with DS surgery.  I had RNY back in 2001 and went from 380 to 220, but I gained back 60 pounds.  Now I am working on getting some weight off before my surgery with Dr. Greenbaum in June.  I am down to 265.8 as of this morning.  

I believe that DS will get me down under 200 (150 pounds - maybe).  It is hard for me to decide on a weight - if I have been at that weight before.  

Whit
on 4/20/14 6:55 am
Revision on 12/10/12

In 2002 I had RNY surgery considered the Gold standard at the time. I never really got to goal but I have pretty health for quite a few years. I gained back to 240 and under went revision surgery in December of 2012. 15 months post op and I am down to 120. It has not bee an easy journey but it was well worth it.

I have one or maybe 2 BM's a day. Sadly there doses not seem to be any proof Distal is effective long term. Most Dr's suggest this because they are not capable of preforming the very complicated revision to DS. 

I recommend you research all of your options before you commit to a surgery that may not provide the results you are looking for. Good luck what ever your decision.

Best,

Whitney

Revision from RNY to DS 12/10/12 Dr. Ara Kesishian BMI: 19

Created by MyFitnessPal - Nutrition Facts For Foods

Most Active