eating when hungry

pebtash
on 4/19/14 9:05 am
VSG on 11/25/14

I see a lot of people always talking about "you won't be hungry after surgery" and to eat when your hungry but what if you eat out of boredom. I think with me I eat because it is meal time and out of boredom. Something I will have to work on while doing my 6 month diet and hope by the time I have surgery I will be only eating when hungry. That is when I am able to eat foods again. Does any one have any tips. How or what did you do to learn to eat only when hungry.

on 4/19/14 10:27 am - Canada

I tried to pay attention to why I am eating is it head hunger heart hunger or am i really hungry because I have not eaten in a few hours and it is actually time for a meal.  we were not required to go on a special diet until just before surgery.  I have been on Optifast liquid diet for 4 weeks now and my surgery is on Tuesday.  I am having the RNY done.

Gwen M.
on 4/19/14 10:33 am
VSG on 03/13/14

One of the things I started doing that has been super beneficial to me is that I only eat at the table now.  No eating standing in the kitchen, no eating in the car, no eating on the couch, nada.  I only eat at the table.  It helps me to be more conscientious and mindful of my eating habits.  

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

pebtash
on 4/19/14 11:58 am
VSG on 11/25/14

Thanks for the advise. I will try that. I eat a lot in my chair in the living room all the time except when the grandkids come for the weekend. When I do feel hungry I'm not sure if it is heart, hunger, or anything else. I guess once I go to my appointment with the nutritionist she will be able to tell me the difference. I never saw a nutritionist before so not sure what to expect. Thanks again.

kathkeb
on 4/19/14 1:52 pm

Lots of times, hunger is actually thirst.

So, I look at the clock, and if it has not been at least 3 hours since my last meal, I start with some water or iced tea.

I eat about 300 calories 3x a day and 150 calories 2x a day ... Spaced about 3 hours apart ... And drink in between.

Also, at night, after my last snack, I brush, floss, gargle and 'close the kitchen' ..... Sometimes during the day, I will brush and gargle if head hunger is tough .. A fresh mouth makes me NOT want to eat.

Kath

Kate -True Brit
on 4/19/14 7:01 pm - UK

I don't think the distinction between real and head hunger is in any way important. Both of them make me want to eat! Both of them are hard to resist. So I do two things.

if I feel hungry and it is not close to a time when I might expect to eat, I distract myself for a while. Depends where and when! Make a phone call, open OH, have a bath, go for a walk, clean out a cupboard. After that, if I forget about food, great. If I am still hungry, I eat. 

I make eating formal. I put a place mat on the table, set out my knife and fork, sit down to eat. Even for a snack, even if on my own. My snacks are closer to small meals; I might do myself three fish fingers, for example. But even smething like a piece of  fruit, I will get a plate, a sharp knife, sit at the table and peel/cut/quarter -whichever is appropriate. 

I dont do this all the time but that was my way when in the losing phases. And I do still do it most of the time. 

Highest 290, Banded - 248   Lowest 139 (too thin!). Comfort zone 155-165.

Happily banded since May 2006.  Regain of 28lbs 2013-14.  ALL GONE!

But some has returned! Up to 175, argh! Off we go again,

gabby169kitty
on 4/19/14 7:21 pm

I am working through the book Eat What You Love and Love What You Eat and the companion workbook Am I Hungry: (something about bariatric surgery-I don't have the book right by me). The book and workbook address this very issue, and other reasons we eat when not hungry. you can get the book on Amazon but if you want the workbook you have to buy it along with the book on the amihungry.com website.

Surgery will be hopefully in October or November 2014, with Dr. Megan Gilmore

JJ0609
on 4/19/14 11:44 pm

I am going to be brutally honest. Head hunger is very hard to deal with for me. I still struggle with it. I often find I want to eat out of boredom or focus on food out of boredom and I am almost four years out. BUT I was an emotional eater before surgery. Some days are worse than others. I just have to find something to focus on besides food. It is extremely tough sometimes and sometimes I fail but I do not beat myself up about it. I try to keep healthy foods in the house and normally overeat protein bars. LOL!   

“Let someone love you just the way you are – as flawed as you might be, as unattractive as you sometimes feel, and as unaccomplished as you think you are. To believe that you must hide all the parts of you that are broken, out of fear that someone else is incapable of loving what is less than perfect, is to believe that sunlight is incapable of entering a broken window and illuminating a dark room.”― Marc Hack

Ht:5'4 SW:268 CW:127.2 GW:125 RNY 06/09 Stomach/colon revision 11/13  

MsBatt
on 4/20/14 8:31 am

No one can predict whether YOU will be hungry after WLS or not. Every body is different. Pre-op, *I* was always hungry, and I don't mean just a bit peckish---I was HUNGRY, all the time. Even when I was stuffed, something in me wanted one more bite.

THAT kind of hunger is gone. Now I experience what I think of as 'normal' hunger, like 'normal' people have. I get hungry, I eat a modest portion, I'm full and satisfied, for about 2.5-3 hours. Then I do it all over again. (*grin*)

I chose the DS, and in oder to get in as much protein as I need every day, I graze. As long as I stick to a high-protein, high-fat, moderate-carb 'diet', I can eat all day long without gaining weight. This suits *my* preferred lifestyle to a T.

How do YOU prefer to eat? I strongly urge you to choose whatever form of WLS that works best with your natural inclinations. Honestly, WLS is on your digestive system, not your brain. Making fundamental changes in how you relate to food isn't any easier post-op than it is pre-op. You'll still have cravings (although they may be for vastly different things.)

Most Active