For all you curious Alcohol Drinkers Pre Op for after WLS

huskergalWsD
on 4/22/14 6:06 am

I am 7 years post op and I know it early to be drinkin, BUT! fyi . I am a little stressed about going to have a hernia repair this Thursday . I just had 1 swallow of Cinnamon Whiskey mixed with water about 50/50 mix and I am probably considered a drunk to the law. Talk about a cheap date and drunk.. that's me.I wouldn't even drive right now in my condition. well giving a heads up what life is like post op . I started drinking here and there about 2 years post op. never had more than 3 drinks in the same day.. I drink maybe 2X a year is all but I am very stressed right now...PeaceV Wendy

7stents (2003)...Heart Attack(2004)...Open Heart (2004)....Wls (2007)...Heart attack 2012...1 stent (2012)...Heart Attack (2013)...Heart Attack (2013)...1 stent(2013)
~~~Best Vitamin For Making Friends  B1~~~

Amy R.
on 4/22/14 8:05 am, edited 4/22/14 8:11 am

Not my call, but if I were having surgery on Thursday alcohol would be the last thing I'd be putting in my body today. 

Please be careful.  You want to be in the best physical shape possible for a surgery - and toxins like alcohol can really tax our livers and other organs even though we may be farther out.   They're gonna be dumping  a bunch of chemicals into your body as it is (for anesthesia and such) so eliminating optional  toxins might be worth a thought.

I understand stressing about a surgery.  Maybe try keeping in mind how much better you'll feel after the problem is fixed? 

Anywho.  Just my opinion. 

take care,

amy

edited to add:  I know you are trying to warn pre-ops about how quickly we metabolize alcohol post op.  I think that's a great message.  I don't know of anyone who is able to hold their liquor post-op the way they were used to doing pre-op.

H.A.L.A B.
on 4/22/14 9:54 pm

Amy, I think you may be to harsh. Alcohol is used to disinfect. Hernia is inside, not out. So maybe she had some alcohol to clean on the inside?  

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

Amy R.
on 4/23/14 1:17 am

bahahaha!  I loves you Hala!  =)

AnneGG
on 4/22/14 11:10 pm

I'm not sure alcohol is the best way to deal with stress pre or post op?

What I would add is that cross addiction is a very real risk after surgery because of our issues using food to deal with self comfort. Plus we metabolize alcohol differently and more rapidly.

"What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the master calls the butterfly." Richard Bach

"Support fosters your growth. If you are getting enough of the right support, you will experience a major transformation in yourself. You will discover a sense of empowerment and peace you have never before experienced. You will come to believe you can overcome your challenges and find some joy in this world." Katie Jay

Patm
on 4/22/14 11:33 pm - Ontario, Canada
RNY on 01/20/12

Good luck with your surgery. Your message about alcohol is a good one. I do not think 2 drinks a years will give you a cross addiction.

Amy R.
on 4/23/14 1:23 am

Patm, if you're referring to my post in response to the OP, I wasn't addressing cross addiction. 

It's just not a good idea for anyone to put any additional strain on their organs if they're headed into surgery 48 hours later.  It doesn't matter if you drink only twice a year.  If one of those times is when you are scheduled for surgery the day after tomorrow it's probably not a helpful practice in the end.  Alcohol takes awhile to metabolize out of our systems (even though we feel sober, technically we're probably not.)

Just pointing out that maybe this way of coping with the stress of upcoming surgery isn't ideal.  It's like those who are on the clear  liquid diet pre-op and consider vodka a clear liquid.

Patm
on 4/23/14 1:24 am - Ontario, Canada
RNY on 01/20/12

Actually I was referring to Anne's post

Amy R.
on 4/23/14 4:05 am

oops!  *blush* 

sorry=)

Patm
on 4/23/14 4:18 am - Ontario, Canada
RNY on 01/20/12

No problem. Often hard to tell