liquid diet

shall0927
on 4/29/14 12:30 am

I am starting my journey... Well actually Im a little way in. I have done all the dr visits, seminar, blood work, psyc eval, been cleared for surgery, Dr told me I need to loose 20 lbs pre opp, I am just waiting on insurance, and that should be taken care of this week, however, I spoke today with the insurance person, I have put my whole life on hold waiting for this surgery. I am unemployed right now and can not afford to continue to be much longer, however, I am for the first time in my life on Medicaid, and they will pay for surgery. But when I start working again I will loose it. I am too close now to loose it, and not be able to get surgery. So I have TRIED to ru**** Tried like heck!! I had literally EVERYTHING done that needed to be done when I met with surgeon. That was 2 weeks ago, and still nothing has been done on their end. Its horrible just waiting. Mean while, I am eating great, and I know I have lost some weight. I don't have a scale right now, but I know for sure Im down at least 7-10 lbs so far.

This morning, I finally spoke with the insurance person who informed me that we have to wait until May 1st to even submit my insurance, but my primary care dr has to do it because of some type of changes So now wait a little more. But she also told me that I will first have to go on a 2 week liquid diet BEFORE surgery??? has anyone heard of this, and how on earth is a person who struggles with food and weight supposed to possibly do that??? There is no way...no way can I possibly do that. It's hard enough eating broccoli every day and not eating anything for 2 weeks at all is just impossible. Has anyone ever heard this, what do you do?? How do you do this?

feeling in despair!!

High weight 342

current weight 315

surgery date 6/11

Kate -True Brit
on 4/29/14 12:35 am, edited 4/29/14 12:36 am - UK

The liquid diet is a pre-requisite for many weight loss surgeries. Not all doctors require it and some require different variants. The purpose is to shrink the liver which in many obese people is large and hard. This poses a risk during surgery.

You will also almost certainly have to do a liquid diet for some time post-op and although at first that is not too hard as you are still recovering from surgery, that too can be difficult.

It's obviously difficult! But the goal is so important that we manage! Not all but most of the people on here who have had  surgery had some form of pre-op diet. Many will have done a liquid diet, usually protein shakes. And we are all people who couldn't eat properly. So it can be done! 

I was one of the few fortunate people who didn't have to so it is easy for me to say! But people do what they have to to get this life-changing surgery.

Highest 290, Banded - 248   Lowest 139 (too thin!). Comfort zone 155-165.

Happily banded since May 2006.  Regain of 28lbs 2013-14.  ALL GONE!

But some has returned! Up to 175, argh! Off we go again,

Cunning_Pam
on 4/29/14 12:41 am
RNY on 12/18/13

It's actually very common for surgeons to have their patients on a liquid diet for some length of time before surgery. There are several reasons for this, which your doctor's office can explain to you if you ask them. It may seem like an insurmountable hurdle, but believe me, you can do it! Just about everyone here who's had WLS has done it, and you can too. After the first couple of days it gets much easier. I had a one week fast, basically, I could only drink calorie-free clear liquids. I thought it would never be able to accompli**** but I kept thinking about the end goal of having the surgery, and soon enough it was over and I was on the operating table.

You CAN do it!

Surgery: RNY on 12/18/2013 with Jay M. Snow, MD            "Don't mistake my kindness for weakness." - Robert Herjavec, quoting Al Capone

shall0927
on 4/29/14 12:50 am

I just don't even know how to get started on doing that. It seems IMPOSSIBLE!!! I can't believe they didn't tell me this, not that it matters really but they did tell me I had to loose 20 lbs.  I guess this is part of the emotional roller coaster that is prior to surgery. I just want to eat something yummy but it looks like that is not going to happen for a long time!! 8-(

Aes85
on 4/29/14 1:02 am

The 2 week liquid diet is something your surgeon requires for surgery.  People struggling with weight and food successfully complete it all the time.  Is it really impossible for you to be on a liquid diet for 14 days?  If so, maybe you should reevaluate whether you are ready.  It's HARD, BUT NOT IMPOSSIBLE.  just do it. and then you will look back at this post years later and see a changed person.  physically and mentally. 

T Hagalicious Rebel
Brown

on 4/29/14 3:01 am - Brooklyn
VSG on 04/25/14 with

You can do it!, It's not impossible, if you can, cut back slowly first, like replace a meal with a shake, up your water intake., up your proteins, cut back on carbs, the first couple of days are a little hard, but it gets to be routine after awhile. I had to do a month of liquids pre-op and now 2 weeks thin liquids post op. Think of why you're doing this in the first place, you've come so far, don't give up!

No one surgery is better than the other, what works for one may not work for another. T-Rebel

https://fivedaymeattest.com/

shall0927
on 4/29/14 3:20 am

I just spoke w nutritionist and feel better I thought they meant clear liquids but that's not the case , just anything blendable it soutnds like ,re going to send me some recipes to help out and she gave me good ideas! There is no way I'm giving up! I've waited for this for a LONG LONG time and now its almost here...I can and will do it...but I just may be doing a good bit of complaining along the way! Lol thanks or your encouragement!

Dawn215FN
on 4/29/14 12:24 pm
VSG on 07/09/14
On April 29, 2014 at 10:01 AM Pacific Time, 1lasttime wrote:

You can do it!, It's not impossible, if you can, cut back slowly first, like replace a meal with a shake, up your water intake., up your proteins, cut back on carbs, the first couple of days are a little hard, but it gets to be routine after awhile. I had to do a month of liquids pre-op and now 2 weeks thin liquids post op. Think of why you're doing this in the first place, you've come so far, don't give up!

A MONTH?  Wow, not sure I could pull that off.  I spoke with one Dr. who at my weight would only require one week pre-op and one Dr. That said 2 weeks.  I haven't met with the nutritionist yet so I hope they have some suggestions!  

My husband today said he is postponing his colonoscopy because he hates the prep day prior, neither of us can imagine doing it for two weeks much less a month.  Well done!!!

Dawn

HW: 217 SW:204

shall0927
on 5/13/14 12:36 pm

So  I wanted to update my progress. I have been working on this liquid diet and although I thought it was impossible it really hasn't been bad. I have lots of snakes with all kinds of yummy stuff and soups blended up, it looms NASTY but taste good...I will get surgery date tomorrow I think!

High weight 342

current weight 315

surgery date 6/11

Most Active