Anyone else have a job where they can't have water with them?

EmmyK
on 5/5/14 9:47 am - CA
VSG on 04/30/14

I'm an OR nurse.  We can't have water in the OR.  I'm going to ask my surgeon on Friday what he suggests, considering the rigid nature of my work.  I was just curious if anyone else has experience with this?

I figure I can eat breakfast as soon as I get up.  Then, on the way to work, I can sip.  Typically, I get a 15 min break in the morning.  That will be a snack time.  Then, 30 min for lunch.  Then, on good days, a 15 minute break in the afternoon.  That is close enough to lunch that it could be a post lunch water time.  I'm mostly worried about mornings.

My posts are for general information and do not constitute medical advice.  They should not serve as the basis for any medical decision by you.  Call your physician for advice.  HW 248  SW 233  CW 155

poet_kelly
on 5/5/14 10:19 am - OH

I know some people have gotten permission to have water, even though it's typically not allowed at their job.  For instance, I have a friend who is a court reporter and she had to have a letter from her doctor in order to be allowed to have water in the court room. 

But I'm guessing that's not a possibility in the OR due to having to keep things sterile.

Are there any breaks at all between surgeries?  Like when you could grab a quick drink?  Otherwise, what about having a protein shake for your mid-morning snack.  That way you could get liquids, protein and calories all in at the same time.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

EmmyK
on 5/5/14 10:35 am - CA
VSG on 04/30/14

Protein shake!  That should be so obvious.  Thanks!

Yeah, and the regulation bodies that do inspections?  If they see a cup in a patient care area, that is a huge violation and likely fine.

There are breaks between.  Certain facilities have a "GO GO GO" mentality, whereas others don't want you dragging your feet, but you have a decent amount of turnaround time (I reserve the right to pee between cases.  SHOCKING!)  I know that I will be able to tolerate a little more water as time goes on.  Also, I'm not scrubbed in.  I can always pop out to the scrub sink, wash my hands, and get a little sip of water (there is a window where I can see in, and the circulating nurse has to pop out of the room regularly to get supplies that are needed, drop off specimens, etc.)  I could even have a small collapsible cup in my pocket...  (Some of the doctors have coffee..yeah, the rules don't apply to them.)

I also like working the "break shift," which means I am the one giving lunches and breaks.  That ensures that I'm out every 15-30 minutes. 

It's doable.  I like the problem solving aspect.

My posts are for general information and do not constitute medical advice.  They should not serve as the basis for any medical decision by you.  Call your physician for advice.  HW 248  SW 233  CW 155

trinoc
on 5/5/14 8:21 pm - TN
VSG on 01/14/14

I put myself through college as a scrub tech in a CVOR.  I remember that there was a nurse who needed a lot of fluid (this was 20 years ago and I don't remember why) and she would not scrub out but she would back up to the door and the circulating nurse would hold a cup that was covered and had a straw.  I know that most people here are advised not to use a straw but other than that maybe the circulator would be willing to help a girl out? 

I am now a chemist and we are not allowed drinks in the lab but I have access to a water fountain and I can run upstairs whenever I want to grab coffee or tea or whatever so it really hasn't been a huge hassle. 

Tricia

M1 -26, M2 -14, M3 -14, M4 -12, M5 -12, M6 -11, M7 -10, M8 -12, M9 -5, Goal Reached 9 months and 14 days

TexasTerritory
on 5/5/14 10:07 pm
VSG on 07/22/13
Bummer about the job! Good luck.

Tracy D.
on 5/5/14 11:20 pm - Papillion, NE
VSG on 05/24/13

Get a doctor's note - seriously, your health and WL success depends on this.  

Tracy  5'3"     HW: 235  SW: 218  CW: 132    M1: -22  M2: -13  M3: -12  M4: -9  M5: -8   M6: -10   M7: -4

Goal reached in 7 months and 1 week

Lower Body Lift w/Dr. Barnthouse 7-8-15

poet_kelly
on 5/6/14 12:17 am - OH

I don't think a doctor's note would help in this situation.  An OR is a sterile environment.  I don't think food or drink is allowed, both for the patient's safety and because you don't want icky things getting into your food or drink.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Tracy D.
on 5/6/14 12:22 am - Papillion, NE
VSG on 05/24/13

Yeah, you're probably right about that.  

Tracy  5'3"     HW: 235  SW: 218  CW: 132    M1: -22  M2: -13  M3: -12  M4: -9  M5: -8   M6: -10   M7: -4

Goal reached in 7 months and 1 week

Lower Body Lift w/Dr. Barnthouse 7-8-15

ataglimpse
on 5/6/14 12:39 am
VSG on 04/09/14

I used to be an OR nurse for 11 yrs.  I wonder if you might be able to get approval to wear a small Camelbak hydration pak.  That is if you can drink through that without getting to much air. I'd try it and see.  They might give you the approval...especially with a request from the Dr.  If not... slipping out like you said could work.  Sorry...very frustrating.  When I had my first child I went back to work when he was 5 months old and I was nursing him.  My milk supply gradually disappeared because I couldn't pump regularly enough.  I would be stuck in long cases etc. and didn't always know when I could get a break!  I feel for ya!!!!  I know you will figure something out.... OR circulator is synonymous with resourcefulness!!!

EmmyK
on 5/6/14 3:03 am - CA
VSG on 04/30/14

I will stick my face under the scrub sink faucet, if needed. #noshame #problemsolver

I'm sorry that happened with regards to pumping.  We are not kind to each other in this profession...

Most Active