Any Disney goers? Making dining plans for WDW.

EmmyK
on 5/5/14 4:14 pm - CA
VSG on 04/30/14

We are Disney fans, and we visit Walt Disney World at least once a year.  We have a trip planned for mid November.  We have the option of making our dining reservations in a few days (you may make them 180 days out.  For planners like us, we are fine with it.) 

Has anyone done WDW post op?  (I'd love to hear about Disneyland, as well, as we moved to California a few months back, so I imagine we'll make it back there more often.)  I have googled it, and there are some hints on a few sites, but it's mostly discussing the card requesting a smaller portion/lesser price and the fact that buffets are not a good value for us.  Also, the most recent thread was 2012, so I'm wondering if anyone has anything to add? 

My plan is for us to do counter and table service in non buffet/family style restaurants (at those, you pay a flat fee per person.)  I'll order a kids meal (the options do not default to chicken fingers and fries.  Our kids enjoy fresh fish and fresh vegetables regularly.  You CAN get burgers and fries, but they made a conscious effort to make the meals for kids healthier many years ago.)  Or, I can order an appetizer/soup and plan with my husband to share a bit of his entree.  We don't have a need to do character dining, as we'll be going on a cruise for a week following our time in Florida, and the kids will get plenty of time doing character meet and greets there. Since food is included, I can order small plates of the entrees.

Clearly, I have a good blueprint, but I was curious to know if anyone had recent experience?  Or specific suggestions?  I had a salmon and arugula salad in January at a counter service location that was fantastic!  I added that to my lunch bag rotation.

My posts are for general information and do not constitute medical advice.  They should not serve as the basis for any medical decision by you.  Call your physician for advice.  HW 248  SW 233  CW 155

Jen Lyn
on 5/5/14 8:14 pm, edited 5/5/14 8:39 pm
RNY on 11/11/13

http://www.obesityhelp.com/forums/rny/4152360/1-year-Surgive rsary-We-went-to-Disneyworld-LONG/

http://www.obesityhelp.com/forums/rny/4154668/Im-off-to-Disn ey-World-this-week-Excited-and-Nervous/#33966294

I am printing out my own surgery card since I never got one at the doctor's.  I copied some online and am typing my own up, then laminating it. Disney told me the staff should accept it everywhere and let me have the child's buffet or meal.

EmmyK
on 5/6/14 4:15 am - CA
VSG on 04/30/14

Perfect!  Thanks!  I have heard that they don't tend to honor the card, so we are skipping buffets.  I figure we will do counter/table service and share our food!

When is your trip?

My posts are for general information and do not constitute medical advice.  They should not serve as the basis for any medical decision by you.  Call your physician for advice.  HW 248  SW 233  CW 155

LiViAnN_mommy
on 5/6/14 8:23 am - Citrus heights, CA

Where do you get the card from? 

LiViAnN_mommy
on 5/6/14 1:17 am - Citrus heights, CA

Can't help with WDW, but I can help alittle with disneyland. In fact we are going the end of the month. The very first time we went I went crazy! There are so many yummy food treats! I slowly remember who I am and started to come out of the disney food coma. The LO and I share meals. I also get a kids meal or and appetizer. We pick a hotel that offers breakfast, I bring my protein and water with me. For this trip since it's 24hrs I bought almonds to take. They have the power packs there which has a yogurt, string cheese, gold fish and carrots and apples. I get that for the LO and steal the string cheese. It can be hard to go overboard. Self control is key! I am glad there food options are getting better. I would bring lots of water and snacks, that way you know you have something that works for you. 

EmmyK
on 5/6/14 4:16 am - CA
VSG on 04/30/14

I am PSYCHED about the power packs!  How cool are those?  Disney has really come a long way with making their menu options better! 

My daughter has a nut allergy, and they are just awesome about it.

jenorama
on 5/6/14 4:14 am - CA
RNY on 10/07/13

I've never been to WDW, but as I live in CA and have family in LA, I've been to DLand quite a bit.  As I'm sure you know, the park itself has a lot of sit down table service options and there is also Downtown Disney with several restaurants such as the House of Blues, Rainforest Cafe, the Jazz Kitchen (a favorite) and the ESPN Zone.  A couple of years ago, my husband and I ate at the BBQ ranch place in the park (I can't think of the name right now) and that was really great.  There was a selection of BBQ meats with some sides like coleslaw, ranch beans and I think a potato thing.  Perfect for a protein-forward meal.  :D

There are also the Disneyland Hotel and the Grand Californian.  I've done the breakfast buffet (several years ago) at Storyteller's in the Grand Californian and it was very good with grilled asparagus as one of the dishes.  I would not recommend Goofy's Kitchen for breakfast as the best thing there is the PB&J Pizza and that's not exactly WLS friendly (but oh so delicious).

I like that Disney has done a lot to improve their dining beyond the typical fast food over the years.  Several years ago I did DLand with a friend when I was on a strict eat-our-food-only diet plan and while it was tough, I did just fine with the addition of the fresh fruit snacks that were readily available.  

Have a great time! 

Jen

EmmyK
on 5/6/14 4:17 am - CA
VSG on 04/30/14

Thanks for the info!  I will be going soon, I'm sure.  Need my Disney fix!

jenorama
on 5/6/14 4:21 am - CA
RNY on 10/07/13

Have you ever been during Christmas?  Best time ever, IMO.  We have found Thanksgiving to be deserted and it's all decorated up.  Oh, also the last trip to Disney, we were staying at the DLand hotel courtesy of my MIL.  I learned about the E-Ticket Lounge.  This is THE BEST EVER.  It's in one of the towers...I think the Adventure tower...and you need a special gold room key to get in.  Inside is a comfy lounge with newspapers, a concierge, tables, couches, snacks, drinks and a huge picture window that looks out onto the park.  Perfect for watching the fireworks in a non-crowded environment.  It was great for taking a load off during the day.  I'm not sure if you need to be a Disneyland Hotel guest to get access, but it might be worth checking in to.  :D

Jen

EmmyK
on 5/6/14 4:36 am - CA
VSG on 04/30/14

Sounds awesome!  There is SO MUCH we don't know about Disneyland.  I have been to WDW at Christmas.  We want to go see the Haunted Mansion/Nightmare Before Christmas displays, so maybe we will sneak down after Thanksgiving!

Most Active