Chronic Plantar Faciitis

vrreichle
on 5/21/14 11:44 am - Dickinson, TX

Hello - just looking for help!

Here is my story:

I am 54 years young, BMI 35 and weigh 200 lbs.  Used to be very active, but for the last 5 years I have been dealing with plantar fasciitis.  I have tried everything the doctors have suggested whi*****lude many steroid shots, deep tissue massage, pain pills, surgery on BOTH feet, sleeping in boots and special shoe orthotics.  Next week  I start some short EPAT (shock therapy).   To be honest I have given up hope that this will ever go away. 

Each doctor that I have seen says losing weight could help or even make it go away completely.  If only, it was that simple.  I have tried every diet known to mankind. I can't exercise because the pain is too great in both feet.  I consider it a success if I go to work and at the end of the day I am still able to hobble around.

I am considering the Lap band surgery.  Whether or not it is covered by insurance is a big concern.  Also, wondering if anyone has had this surgery for this reason. 

Any help is much appreciated.

Vicki

Cindy Cooney
on 5/21/14 2:16 pm - NJ
DS on 06/30/14

Hi Vicki:

What surgery did you originally have?  I have had plantar fasciitis and I know how painful this is!  In fact, I still own the boots that you sleep with.  What helped me was my podiatrist.  I hope you are seeing one.  He did compression bandages, the shots and finally I now where orthodics in shoes.   I also stretch my arches by dropping my heels off the back of a step.  I have a BMI of 43 and I am being revised from RNY to DS later this month.  Dropping weight may help, but you need to look at why that part of the foot doesn't get exercise and figure how to stretch that muscle once it your inflammation goes down.  

Good luck in your quest for surgery!

RNY - 3/26/14

HW - 380

CW 0 259

DS - 7/30/14

HW - 285

CW - 264.4

Dr. Greenbaum

(deactivated member)
on 5/21/14 5:27 pm - CA
VSG on 08/19/14

Had this for years... best thing I've found to keep it in check is to freeze a water bottle (or 2) and then put it on the floor and roll it under my foot while I'm sitting  - I do it at the computer for 30 mins or more most days.  It sounds simple, but has worked for me to keep that area stretched and I guess the ice helps with swelling or something. Previously I tried shots and they didn't help, I got shoes custom fitted and didn't see much improvement. I also stretch my foot in the morning before getting out of bed.

It can be so painful... I hope you find some relief.

Cali

Valerie G.
on 5/21/14 10:10 pm - Northwest Mountains, GA

I wasn't approved because of it, but I can attest that losing my weight made it go away.  Until then, I lived in Birkenstocks, for they were the only shoes that gave the arch support I needed to lesson the pain.

Look to the VSG instead of the LapBand though.  Too many problems with LapBand, and not enough results. 

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

bubbylucy
on 5/21/14 11:34 pm - Raleigh, NC

I tried everything for the faciitis, orthotics (that cost a fortune), injections and the shock type theray. NOTHING worked until I started wearing sketcher shape ups. It takes all the pressure of the facia and gave it time to heal. Wish I would have tried them before I spent so much $$$$$$

Good luck

Audra

Gizzys
on 5/22/14 12:38 am - Canada

Having the RNY surgery and losing weight has gotten rid of my plantar faciitus completely.  My podiatrist finally came out and said that it was my weight causing the problems.  I had orthotics made, steroid shots, and even wore an air boot for 8 weeks to try to take the pressure off.  Nothing worked for long.  There were many reasons why I decided on surgery. Better health all around was the main reason.  Good luck!

I'm 5 ft 7.5 inches tall... 
 "The best way to predict your future is to create it."                   

~ Unknown       

Hislady
on 5/22/14 4:49 am - Vancouver, WA

I don't have PF but I'm here to tell you DO NOT for any reason get the lap band unless you want to live with even more pain. I recently had mine out because of the pain it caused after a few years. It was empty for 2 yrs. and I have to pay for the surgery because insurance didn't cover complications from bariatric surgery. The band causes major damage to your esophagus even if you don't feel it right away. It is only good for 10 yrs at most and then needs to come out. There is only a 50 % weight loss rate which means you may lose only 10 lbs. and it will still be considered a loss. There are a few people that have success but far more of us lose very little and end up with severe life long damage. My stomach now empties slower than normal and causes horrible pain because things get backed up. I wouldn't wish the band on my worst enemy! Go with VSG or even RNY is better than the band.

sherizel
on 5/23/14 1:16 pm

I'm sorry you are going through all that pain, I know how bad it is.  I will echo what the person above said about Birkenstocks, it's the only thing that worked for me.  I wore them ALL the time.  If I got up in the middle of the night to go to the bathroom I put them on.  You mentioned orthotics so I'm not sure if the Birkenstocks are different but they may be worth a shot.  Good luck! 

MsBatt
on 5/24/14 1:18 am

I had it pretty badly pre-op, but it's completely gone now.

Please don't get a LapBand! The Sleeve is such a better option!

kellma699
on 5/24/14 1:39 am
VSG on 02/04/14

I suffered for two years. Did everything. The only thing that cured it was 8 weeks of physical therapy. It was a miracle.

HW 257, SW 190.2, CW 148.8, GW 125

Most Active