Sleeve 10 days out...freaking out a little

AMDRN
on 5/22/14 10:07 am - ft belvoir, VA
with

Hi Everyone, 

I am new to this forum and I am hoping to gain some perspective. I am having the sleeve done on June 3rd. I have been struggling with the same 100-150lbs of excess weight for the last 15 years (gain it, lose, gait it all back). I finally committed to doing something and now as the time gets closer I find that I am a bit scared. Not scared of things that might actually be rational, like complications or death. I am scared to lose my protective fat layer. I have developed a very strong love/hate relationship with this barrier that has allowed me to keep the majority of the world at arms length. I am in therapy and we are working through all of this. I have an amazing husband who is so supportive and a few really good friends. I am struggling with the liquid pre op diet that I am on and am wondering if that means that I won't be successful after surgery. I could really use some guidance from anyone out there who has gone through the surgery with the same reservations? There is a small part of me that is excited, but mostly I am afraid and I don't want to be!

Thank you all in advance!

Judy700
on 5/22/14 7:27 pm
VSG on 03/11/14 with

Welcome to OH!  Your anxiety is very normal.  I don't think there is anyone out there who doesn't get nervous and scared prior to surgery. I have one friend who actually backed out 2 days before surgery because she was too scared to go through with it.  We have all lived like this for a long long time and our lives definitely change significantly after surgery.  It's great that you are going through therapy and have family support.  The preop liquid diet is the WORST part!  No doubt about it!  For me, it's wasn't as bad afterwards because I wasn't hungry at all.  Struggling with it now, has nothing to do with your post surgery success.  Your post surgery diet will change as your new stomach heals so follow your surgeon's offers, and you will do fine.

VSG on March 11, 2014. 60 yo female from Washington, DC area. 

HW: 235  SW: 230  CW: 134.5 (3/23)    M1:-19    M2: -13   M3: -10.4    M4: - 8.2   M5: -6.4    M6: -5    M7: -7.4    M8: -4    M9: -8.6    M10: -5    M11: -3.6    M12:  -1.5 Goal reached 3/23/15 in 1 year + 12 days following surgery.  BMI from 42.1 to 23.9 

AMDRN
on 5/22/14 10:28 pm - ft belvoir, VA
with

Hi Judy, 

Thank you so much for taking the time to reply and give such great encouragement! You make such an important point in reminding me that I have lived this way for so long and I am getting ready to change my life dramatically. I think this forum will be really helpful as I go through the process as well, just being able to talk to and hear from people that have been there is a great comfort!

Thank you again, 

Aubrey

Mary Gee
on 5/23/14 12:26 pm - AZ
VSG on 05/14/14

Like you, I wasn't nervous about the surgery, but the physical/mental changes it's going to bring.  Afraid of failure - not afraid of getting out there and living instead of watching the world go by.

And the liquid diet STINKS!!  I think it's the hardest part.

Stay strong - the best is on the "other side" -- just a few steps away.

HW: 380 SW: 324 GW: 175  

Most Active