Who vomits more between RNY and VSG

MissyMe2
on 5/27/14 8:13 am, edited 5/27/14 8:14 am

I have done lots of reading about both surgeries and the surgery clinic has a lot of info on them both and the band, and I am very close to making a final surgery decision.

I wanna know about how much people vomit and get naseous after RNY vs sleeve. I'm not considering band but was surprised to read that they throw up more than anyone! The info from the clinic doesn't say who throws up more, RNY or VSG tho.

Im trying to decide how I feel about maybe dumping with RNY but having the bypass part vs not dumping but losing slower and maybe less with sleeve.  I'm most worried about nausea and vomiting, though.  I hate, hate, hate throwing up!  

You all have such great information and help each other out so much, so I figured I could get an idea of my question here.

missy

jenorama
on 5/27/14 8:19 am - CA
RNY on 10/07/13

Ideally, if you pay attention to your body and follow your surgeon's plan, you shouldn't vomit at all with ANY surgery.  I had RNY in October and I've thrown up exactly once and it was my own damn fault.  Take it slow and easy, don't try to dive in an eat like you used to and work with your surgeon's eating stages and you'll be fine.  :D

Jen

MissyMe2
on 5/27/14 8:34 am

Good to hear!  My doctor says to chew everything almost to liquid  for the first couple of months (and then to chew well always after that) and to take only 2 bites of a new food and then wait a while in case your tummy doesn't like it.  

poet_kelly
on 5/27/14 11:43 am - OH

So following my surgeon's plan should have prevented me from getting a stomach virus?  I don't think so.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Kate -True Brit
on 5/27/14 10:14 pm - UK
On May 27, 2014 at 6:43 PM Pacific Time, poet_kelly wrote:

So following my surgeon's plan should have prevented me from getting a stomach virus?  I don't think so.

Did anyone say it would?

Highest 290, Banded - 248   Lowest 139 (too thin!). Comfort zone 155-165.

Happily banded since May 2006.  Regain of 28lbs 2013-14.  ALL GONE!

But some has returned! Up to 175, argh! Off we go again,

Cunning_Pam
on 5/27/14 12:51 pm
RNY on 12/18/13

You can make sure that you don't do anything that will be the direct cause of vomiting, but if you have a stricture, for instance, that's not under your control at all. If you have intractable nausea post-surgery like some people, you may have no control over that either. It's a crapshoot, basically - no one can say whether or not you'll have any particular complication with any certainty.

Like Lora says below, however, vomiting after RNY at least is a totally different thing from before surgery. It's...well, easy. With so little in the pouch and almost no stomach acid to speak of, there's no horrible taste or burn and it's usually over pretty quickly. I was like the OP originally, I *hated* to throw up! After surgery, well, it's not like I enjoy it now, but at least it's over quickly when it happens and not nearly as unpleasant as it used to be.

Surgery: RNY on 12/18/2013 with Jay M. Snow, MD            "Don't mistake my kindness for weakness." - Robert Herjavec, quoting Al Capone

Castine1234
on 5/27/14 8:22 am
RNY on 05/06/14

I had RNY 3 wks ago.  I woke up after surgery without Naseua and no pain!  I was shocked!  The only pain I had was getting up tp walk.  Once up, again no pain while walking.  Learning to know when I was full was a challenge for me.  I did throw up once early out when switching to semi solid food.  Not gut wrenching.  When it was over it was over.  I have anti Naseua meds to take if needed and I bought papaya chewables that help settle my stomach if needed.  It is a bit of a challenge but have lost 12 lbs in 3 wks.  I was going to get a sleeve but nutritionist felt with the urge to eat sweets and fats that the RNY was best for me.

MissyMe2
on 5/27/14 8:30 am

Oh my gosh, that's great!!!  It's good to hear people who don't get sick a lot.

I didn't think about maybe asking the doctor for something that might keep me from throwing up if something doesn't agree with me! I am doing my pre-op diet and exercise program that is required for epithet surgery so I can ask the surgeon about that when I see him in 2 weeks for a weigh-in.

Gwen M.
on 5/27/14 8:34 am
VSG on 03/13/14

I have the sleeve.  I've thrown up about 3 times.  Once was from eating fish that was too dry and the other two times were because I had to have "one more bite."  

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

Castine1234
on 5/27/14 11:35 am
RNY on 05/06/14

Yup!  I do the same thing, just one more bite.  Then, I don't feel good 'til it goes down.

Most Active