How am I going to do this???

mlopez77
on 5/29/14 2:16 pm
VSG on 05/16/14 with

I have been looking forward to May 30/14 because I am supposed to start pureed foods today. However, I have become quite comfortable with my liquid diet. I know exactly how much to drink and what my new tummy likes. I am so terrified to try something new. I have talked to the doc about this and he told me my goal is to eat "normal foods" again and that I cannot avoid advancing my diet because I am scared to try new foods. Who would have thought that I would need someone to convince me to eat.

I am going to try some cream of wheat in the morning and then do my protein shake for lunch and dinner. If that goes well then the next day I will do cream of wheat again for breakfast, make a pureed chicken salad for lunch with Greek yogurt instead of mayo so I can up my protein intake, and a shake for dinner. If my tummy handles that then maybe the third day I will try to do three meals. That just seems like so much food. I can barely get 4 oz of soup down, how in the world am I going to eat three meals that aren't liquid? I am freaking out. Can I do this? 

VSG on 5/16/2014. HW: 304; SW: 278; CW: 232; GW: 150.

basilmk
on 5/29/14 2:48 pm, edited 5/29/14 2:48 pm - FL
RNY on 01/07/14

When I started soft foods, I, too, worried about the meals but I was still doing two shakes a day. I got the meals in but they were very tiny. I had problems getting much more than a couple of tablespoons for each time. Are you required to have 4 oz of soup? Try just eating what is comfortable.

I spoke with my dietician and she told me to not worry about how much, beyond my liquids and protein requirements. She said that I should not try to eat too much and that I would "know" when to increase portions. She was right. As I progressed, I would have a little more.

now, I'm almost five months out and usually have around 1/3 to 1/2 cup or 3-4 ounces per meal and doing very well. I know when I've eaten too much.

Good luck.

RNY 1/7/2014 with Jeffery Lord, Pensacola, FL

SJones7208
on 5/29/14 3:47 pm
RNY on 04/17/14

You have the right idea...try a tiny bit at a time. I started with two tablespoons of cream of wheat (or any new food). If my body tolerated the new food, I would try something new a couple of days later. I'm six weeks out and have discovered there isn't much I can't eat!!  I kept expecting to feel sick but I never have. After three weeks, a half cup of food wasn't enough and I was hungry all the time. I increased my intake to 3/4 cup and that has been my magic amount of food. 

The only items I have issues with are fish, egg whites and water. In the classes I was required to take, they taught us most people tolerate fish much better than any kind of meat...nope, not me!  It seems to get stuck from my throat to my stomach. Same thing with egg whites.  I used to drink tons of water. Now the thought of drinking water makes me seriously gag. I have to put crystal light or some sort of fruit to give it taste.  

You out know your body better than anyone...just listen to yourself. 

Good luck!

Stephanie

mlopez77
on 5/30/14 12:30 am
VSG on 05/16/14 with

I have never been so in tune with body. I can literally feel the moment the food hits my stomach. I love it. I did ok with the cream of wheat, but it took me an hour and a half to eat 2 ounces. Lol.

I know what you mean abou****er. I used to love water with a lemon wedge. Now I can't stand it. It is such a chore to drink it. I have been living on Gatorade, but now that I am starting to incorporate foods I am going to zero calorie powerade. Gotta get those electrolytes in :) 

Did you puree your meat? I am so terrified to try meat. I hear all these stories about meat intolerance. I am a meat eater and I miss it so much. I know everyone is different and I hope I can tolerate it.

I definitely think taking it slow is the way to go. I was throwing up for 24 hours after surgery and that was terrible. I don't want to go through that again.

SJones7208
on 5/30/14 1:39 pm
RNY on 04/17/14

Hi...no, I did purée my meat. I would cut super small pieces and chew the holy hell out of it. I've had pork, beef, ground turkey, fish and chicken. The only thing that's bothered is the fish.  Of all things! 

Stephanie

SJones7208
on 5/30/14 1:40 pm
RNY on 04/17/14

Oops! I did NOT purée any of my meat. 

Stephanie

MrsD68
on 5/31/14 10:20 am

I just had to comment about the water... I too was a HUGE water drinker BEFORE the surgery.. now I cannot stand the "taste" and I have been using MIO which helps alot. A NP mentioned that crystal light was "bad" because of the artifical sweetner.. but if it helps me ge****er down.. I dont care at this point. My tummy gets the "foamies".. I did not know what that was.. until it happened.. UGH. Anyways, I cannot eat eggs or liquid egg beaters, I can eat some fish... but it is always trial and error. 

mlopez77
on 5/30/14 12:16 am
VSG on 05/16/14 with

I have been working on 2 oz of cream of wheat since 8:30 am. Lol. I am taking it real slow. 

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 5/31/14 11:54 am - OH

There are other people who have also expressed a fear of foods after an extended period of time on liquids.  That is one of the reasons that I am thankful my surgeon and her patients start back on soft foods just a few days after surgery.

Since you have been on liquids for a while, I would suggest NOT trying even puréed chicken for a while because a LOT of people have trouble with chicken (and of it makes you sick, that will just reinforce your fear of eating real food).

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

mlopez77
on 5/31/14 12:27 pm
VSG on 05/16/14 with

I am not doing good guys. I am terrified to eat. I know I need to, but I'm seriously scared. I have been sticking to my soup and liquids. I ate my soup too fast today and got sick and that was it. I refused to eat or try anything else. I am going to try some cauliflower mashed tomorrow, but I just can't do meat. Guess I am going to be drinking protein shakes for a while.

Most Active