Is she telling the truth?

parkmanmom
on 6/18/14 4:26 am - OH

I just had my first appt. with the Dr., nurse and nutritionist to start the process for surgery. I'm debating between bypass and the sleeve. The nurse, who is a patient and lost 115 lbs. was wonderful, enthusiastic and encouraging (and young). She said she never craved sweets or bad foods after the surgery, that she was so full it didn't even cross her mind. I'm finding that hard to believe, although I know each patient is different. Is this common or is she the exception? I'm debating whether to even have a gastric surgery. I'm a 280 lb. 43 yr. old mom. The thought of never getting to enjoy any sweet again in my life if I had the GBP is killing me. And I'm so worried I'll crave foods and be miserable that I'll regret it. I don't want to have a defeatist attitude but I want to be realistic, this is a big step. I still have to cook meals for my husband and kids as well as attend all the family functions (think Italians). I've read posts about people being so hungry (especially right after surgery) and think maybe I should try dieting again without the surgery if I'm going to have to deal with those mind games anyway. I do realize surgery is a tool and not a magic wand and that I'll have to continue to eat healthy and exercise and that it just assists in the process, but I guess I'm wishful in thinking it lessens the head games. Is there anyone who can shed some more light onto my trepidation?

poet_kelly
on 6/18/14 5:47 am - OH

I don't know if she's telling the truth or not, but surgery on your stomach does not usually get rid of cravings.  What it does is cause you to get full faster.  But you can and most likely will still crave things.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

VSG on 06/12/13

^^ What she said. I'm jonesing bad this afternoon for some chocolate...thanks PMS!

Sleeved 6/12/13 - 100 pounds lost to get to goal!

Colleen O.
on 6/18/14 5:55 am
VSG on 04/09/14

This is just MY experience....take it for what it's worth...

I have yet to crave or desire any sweet at all.  I haven't had candy, bakery, or food that is sugar laden since surgery.  Hunger for me post surgery is very very different than it was before surgery.  I can tell when my sleeve is empty and ready for some food.  It feels a little bit like there is some acid building up but not like the hunger I knew before.  Most days, I could just not eat at all - I do eat because I need to but I don't live waiting for my next "fix" of food. 

My suggestion (again - take it for what it's worth) is that you start changing your lifestyle now.  Don't wait for surgery.  I made drastic changes as of 1/1/14.  I lost 60lbs before surgery and I really feel like it was an important step for me.  I felt ready to face life post surgery by having so many changes under my belt.  Start tracking everything you eat - everything.  Don't judge yourself but start to really look at the quality of your food intake and how you can improve it.  Eat protein forward and lower your carbs.  Make sure you are drinking at least 64oz of water every day.  Start working on an exercise schedule.  Life post surgery is a lot different but doing those things now will give you some idea of how life will change.

HW: 387 (12/13)  ConsultW: 383 (12/13)  SW: 321 (4/9/14)  CW: 234.6 (10/19/14)

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 6/18/14 11:55 am - OH

You are also only two months post-op, so saying you haven't had any cravings post-op is like someone who just had a baby yesterday (and is still in the hospital) saying that she isn't having any trouble at all handling being a new mom.

Perhaps you will one of the rare ones, but most everyone finds that things are very different even 6 months out from surgery than at 1 or 2 months out.

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

Colleen O.
on 6/18/14 12:04 pm
VSG on 04/09/14

Yep - which is exactly why I qualified it as MY experience only and to take it for what it's worth. I have never claimed expertise or to know anything at all. Just sharing my experience thus far.

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 6/18/14 12:08 pm - OH

Understood.  Many people don't look at surgery dates, though, and I think it is important for people to take that into consideration when reading some types of posts.  It doesn't make your experience any less "valid", of course, but for some things the length of time post-op does matter.

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

Colleen O.
on 6/18/14 12:12 pm
VSG on 04/09/14

True. I always look at surgery dates so it didn't enter my mind to point out my date. Of course it matters. That's why I always look! I'll try to remember to point it out.

HarvestMoon1974
on 6/19/14 7:28 am - Keyport, NJ
Revision on 05/01/14

I agree. Although, I was having cravings as soon as the nausea wore off lol

Everyone is different, but I still have to work very hard to keep my impulses in check when it comes to sweets. The big help for me at the moment is my recent revision. I had it for medical reasons, not because of weight issues, but it has given me back the dumping syndrome that was pretty much gone after almost 9 years.

" Life is a roller coaster, enjoy the ride"
Carol 378/189/170

Thankful for my little miracles Joshua and Daniel.

Kate -True Brit
on 6/18/14 6:03 am, edited 6/18/14 6:03 am - UK

It might at first when motivation is high, but cravings in the long term don't go away, you have to learn to control them . 

Highest 290, Banded - 248   Lowest 139 (too thin!). Comfort zone 155-165.

Happily banded since May 2006.  Regain of 28lbs 2013-14.  ALL GONE!

But some has returned! Up to 175, argh! Off we go again,

Most Active