Probiotics

luludoll
on 6/19/14 1:56 pm

Does anyone know if there is any problem taking Probiotics post Gastric Bypass surgery?

Amy Farrah Fowler
on 6/19/14 2:39 pm

Not only is it not a problem, it's beneficial to you. The flora in the gut can get unbalanced, especially in the bypassed gut, and probiotics help keep the good guys numbers up, and the bad stuff from getting a real foothold. 

I personally like VSL3 probiotics or the Align brand, but different ones seem to work for different people, so you just have to try some to see what works for you.

luludoll
on 6/20/14 2:39 pm

Thank you Amy Farrah Fowler!  Love your pseudo name! 

I was on probiotics prior to surgery and they told me to discontinue. I know I feel better taking them so I will do that. 

Are the capsules too big to swallow?

Amy Farrah Fowler
on 6/20/14 4:57 pm

I have no issues swallowing capsules, but am over 6 years out, so am used to swallowing lots of vitamins. If you are freshly post op or have trouble swallowing pills, there is a version of the VSL3 probiotics that is powder you just mix into whatever you want (I'm sure other brands do too) or there are brands like Lala-cult that are tiny bottles of liquid you drink. Kefir is a good food source with natural probiotics, like yogurt, that is drinkable with has become easy to buy, or to make.

luludoll
on 6/21/14 8:53 pm

Thanks! 

Most Active