Anyone on medicare who had surgery n central texas?

Sabyan2060
on 6/30/14 1:31 pm - Belton, TX

What did you have to do to get approved?  Since there is no pre approval required did your surgeon say if it was easier or harder?  Did they require you to do a 6 month medically supervised diet program if you could not prove you had tried other diet programs?  Any dr recommendations?  Really any tips would be wonwonderful. Oh, also did anyone become overweight from a disability?   If so did it make it easier to get approved due to the weight making the pain worse?

Thanks so much

Amanda

pebtash
on 7/1/14 4:33 am
VSG on 11/25/14

Hi, Although I don't have Medicare in Texas I live in Mass. and have it. Medicare requirements are just a little different than Medicaid.I am told it is a fed. program so it should be the same (maybe not) I can tell you what I had to do. First you need to talk to your PCP and tell him/her what you want to do and get them onboard with it. Then you do need to do a 6 month medically supervised diet. But I was also told that ww, Jenny craig, nutri system, and programs like that don't count. It has to be done in an medical office of some kind.  They also never said anything to me about a 5 yr. proof but that might be because I had it anyway. I think as long as you can prove you have had a weight problem for a long time (going up and down) should count. They say if you can prove you have a condition from being overweight that will also go a long way in counting towards you. But I am also disabled and gained weight again after becoming so but that didn't seem to mater to them. I called Medicare many times and got no where. Every time I called I got a different answer for the same thing. My PCP told me to go to the wlc and ask them since they deal with insurance companies all the time. Oh one more thing I really didn't like this, Medicare DOES NOT pre-approve. My NP told me I would have to go to the hospital and sign papers saying I would pay if they don't but she also said she has never had it come back saying they wouldn't pay. I also have a secondary insurance so I am hoping whatever Medicare don't cover the other one will including co-pays. Hope this helps some. Good Luck with your journey. P.S. I had to switch to Medicare as a primary when my husband retired or I would be penalized if I did it later sometimes I wish I never had done it.  

Tess0306
on 7/2/14 9:15 pm - TX

Hello.  I am in the Houston area in Texas and I am on Medicare and a supplement.  I went to the WLS center and chatted with the Dr. Every Dr. is different. I had to see the Nutritionist for 3 months, get a couple of other required tests done for clearance for the surgery, and see a pysch Dr. In total, I had the surgery 5 months after seeing the WLS Dr. I didn't have to prove anything.  Between Medicare and my supplemental, it did not cost me a thing! Best decision I ever made!! Good Luck with your journey and keep us posted.

Tess    

Most Active